Garlic Shrimp and Rice
Garlic Shrimp and Rice are an easy 20-minute dinner recipe combining mouthwatering tender shrimp and fluffy rice. You can make it with white rice or brown rice, fried or steamed.
Shrimp and Rice recipe is delicious comfort food that my whole family love. It can be cooked in one skillet, and you can add your own favorite flavor. I like honey garlic flavor, but you can use other flavors such as cajun seasoning or garlic butter.
What Kind of Rice Should I Use for Shrimp Rice
My favorite kind to use is Basmati rice because of how fluffy it gets. You can use pretty much any white rice such as jasmine rice or long-grain rice.
You can mix the rice with shrimp or serve the shrimp over rice for shrimp rice bowls. The rice will soak up the sweet and savory honey garlic sauce. So delicious.
How to Make Shrimp and Rice Recipe
- Cook rice in a pot or rice cooker according to the package directions.
- Whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger to make marinade sauce.
- Add half of the marinade sauce into a ziploc bag. Add shrimp, and mix well.
- Add marinated shrimp in a single layer in a large skillet and fry about 2 minutes until pink. Remove from heat.
- Add the other half of the marinade sauce to the skillet and cook until sticky.
- Add cooked rice to the skillet and add back the shrimp. Toss them together. Alternatively, you can serve the rice in a separate bowl, and then add cooked shrimp on top.
Top Tips for Making Shrimp and Rice
- If buying frozen shrimp, make sure to thaw them properly before cooking.
- Don’t overcook your shrimp! Shrimp will be rubbery and chewy if it’s overcooked. It’s done once it’s opaque and firm to the touch. Remove it from heat as long as it’s cooked.
- For a healthier option, use half oil and honey; also you can use brown rice.
Garlic Shrimp and Rice
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, uncooked, it will yield enough for 4-6 people
- 1 lb raw shrimp, 26-30 size or similar, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium recommended
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsbp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- green onion, minced, optional
- Start cooking rice in a pot or rice cooker according to the package directions.
- Thaw shrimp if necessary in a medium bowl of cold water.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger to make marinade sauce.
- Put the shrimp and HALF of the marinade into a ziplock bag or container and shake.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil. Add shrimp in a single layer and fry about 2 minutes until pink. Remove from heat
- Add the rest of the marinate cook until the sauce thickens into a glaze.
- Add cooked rice and add back cooked shrimp. Toss well. Serve with optional green onion and enjoy!
- If buying frozen shrimp, make sure to thaw them before cooking.
- Don’t overcook your shrimp! It’s done once it’s opaque and firm to the touch.
- Use brown rice and cut oil and honey to half if you prefer a healthier version.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
More Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Coconut Shrimp
- Shrimp Lo Mein
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Blackened Shrimp
- Easy Shrimp Boil
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.