Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice
Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice is an amazing low-carb meal that’s full of delicious shrimp and vegetable flavors. The best part? You can make in just 20 minutes for a healthy weeknight dinner option.
I fell in love with cauliflower rice as a healthy dinner option for my New Year’s resolution, and like to add shrimp in for variety. Now it’s one of my favorite shrimp recipes along with Shrimp Lo Mein, Shrimp Boil, Pad Thai, Honey Garlic Shrimp and Teriyaki Shrimp.
When you grate cauliflower, it becomes a coarse meal that makes a great low-carb rice substitute. It’s like a modern version of cous-cous, light and fluffy with the ability to soak up delicate flavors from the other ingredients.
You can eat lots of it without the calories that come from rice, plus you get the good vitamins and fiber benefits of cauliflower.
While the cauliflower rice itself is a delicious vegan dish, we’ve added in jumbo shrimp and eggs to make it closer to traditional fried rice. It’s fabulous as a quick weeknight meal and we’ve served it at potluck parties too.
How to make cauliflower rice
Cauliflower rice is a surprisingly simple dish to make. All you need is a head of fresh cauliflower and either a box grater or a food processor to pulverize it.
Then get the other ingredients ready, and it becomes a quick stir fry. Start by sautéing jumbo size shrimp over medium-high heat in either a nonstick or cast iron pan. Make sure you thaw the shrimp completely beforehand.
They’ll only need a minute per side if that before you remove them from the pan. You want to avoid overcooking the shrimp because they’ll become chewy.
After that, it’s simply a matter of cooking the other ingredients in the pan. Start with the carrots, ginger and garlic. Then add the cauliflower, soy sauce and sesame oil.
The second-to-last step is scrambling beaten eggs in the middle of the pan, before adding in the peas and shrimp at the end. Here’s the process from start to finish:
This dish is best served steaming hot, but it does reheat well later on if you need a healthy take-along lunch. Enjoy!
Watch How to Make Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice:
Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice (with Video)
- 1 medium cauliflower, grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup diced carrots, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, peeled minced
- 3/4 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Asian sesame oil, optional
- green onion, minced
- Using a box grater or food processor, shred the cauliflower into coarse breadcrumb-size pieces and set aside.
- Get all other ingredients ready. Then place a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- To the pan add 1 tbsp oil followed by shrimp. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then fry one minute per side. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Wipe the pan clean and return to the heat. Add 1 tbsp oil followed by carrots, garlic and ginger, frying for one minute.
- Add the cauliflower peas to the pan and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas, soy sauce and sesame oil, and fry for another minute.
- Make a 5-6 inch space in the middle of the pan and add in the beaten eggs. Scramble the eggs using a spatula or spoon, and then mix into the cauliflower.
- Add the reserved shrimp and toss with optional green onion. Serve and enjoy!
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
Looking for more easy shrimp recipes?
- Garlic Butter Shrimp with Parsley
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Coconut Shrimp
- Shrimp Chow Mein
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Blackened Shrimp
- Easy Shrimp Boil
Editor note: Post updated on 1/30/2018 with additional details and tips
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.