How to Cook Rice in the Microwave
Learn How to Cook Rice in the Microwave – easier, faster and perfectly cooked each time. Rice cooked in the microwave is fluffy and tender, tasting the same, if not better than a rice cooker or stovetop. Plus, clean-up is a breeze and there is no rice stuck at the bottom of your pot.
This is a recipe for cooking white rice, such as jasmine, basmati and sushi rice. Using this microwave method saves time and effort.
DO I NEED TO RINSE RICE
Yes, you SHOULD rinse rice thoroughly under cool water before cooking. This step not only gets rid of dirt, dust and debris, but also removes surface starch that makes the rice clump together. Use the following steps to rinse rice:
- Pour cool water into a bowl with the dry rice
- Swish the rice around with your fingertips
- Drain out the water using a sieve
- Repeat 2-3 more times.
Note: Your water will be less cloudy each time, but it will never be completely clear, as rice is a starch which naturally clouds water.
CHINESE TRICK FOR MEASURING RICE-TO-WATER RATIO
A Chinese trick called the “First Knuckle Method” makes it easy to get the correct proportion of rice to water without the need for measuring cups. Here’s how to do it:
- Add rice into the bowl, level it out and put your index finger on top of the rice (make sure the tip of your finger is just touching the surface of the rice).
- Add enough water so that it reaches your first knuckle. This is the first line of your index finger from the top.
It works well if you have small hands. For people with larger hands, make a slight modification of using your pinky finger instead of index finger. I have shared this method with many friends, and they all swear by it!
It doesn’t matter what kind of bowl or pot you use, and doesn’t matter how much rice you are cooking as long as it’s at least 1 cup. This method works like a charm each time!
HOW TO COOK RICE IN THE MICROWAVE
You need a microwave-safe bowl to cook your rice. 1 ½ cups of raw rice will make about 3 cups of cooked rice, enough for 4 people.
First, add rice to the bowl, wash the rice and add water using the “First Knuckle Method” above, or using a measuring cup. The rice-to-water ratio should be 1:2.
Microwave on high for 10 minutes, and then on medium-low for 15 minutes. You don’t need to cover the rice. Do not stir the rice at any time during cooking.
Taste the rice, and if it’s a bit crunchy, microwave it for 1 more minute each time until it’s fully cooked.
How to Cook Rice in Microwave
- 1 ½ cups raw white rice, such as basmati, jasmine, or sushi rice
- 3 cups water
- Add rice and water to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Swish the rice around with your hands and drain through a sieve. Repeat 3 times.
- Microwave uncovered on High (100% Power) for 10 minutes.
- Microwave uncovered on Medium (50% Power) for 15 minutes.
- Taste the rice. If it's still slightly crunchy, microwave for an additional minute at a time until fully cooked. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for dishes to go with rice?
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.