Easy Chocolate Covered Bananas 6 Ways
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Chocolate Covered Bananas are the easiest snacks ever! Crispy and chocolatey on the inside, creamy and sweet on the inside with just a few ingredients: banana, chocolate and coconut oil; plus toppings such as crushed M&Ms, fruity pebbles cereal and colored sprinkles. These Chocolate Bananas are beautiful and irresistibly delicious! Plus video tutorial!
A healthy summer snack made from 3 simple ingredients plus toppings, this Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas recipe is so easy that even kids can make. The thin chocolate shell is crispy and the frozen banana inside has a creamy ice cream texture.
With a few tricks, everyone can easily make the most delicious Chocolate Bananas.
The secret ingredient is coconut oil, which loosens the chocolate and makes a very thin, smooth and crispy chocolate shell. Combined with the ice cream-like bananas, it’s out-of-this-world delicious. Chocolate Covered Bananas are one of my favorite chocolate recipes, along with Strawberry Chocolate Mouse, Melting Chocolate Balls, Chocolate Fruit Pizza, Ice Cube Tray Chocolate Bites and Oreo Truffles.
HOW TO MELT CHOCOLATE
Melting chocolate is very easy and you can either use stovetop or microwave. Personally, I like microwave approach better as it’s easier and faster. I also recommend using high-quality baking chocolate, although chocolate chips are also fine, especially when you mix them with coconut oil.
To melt your chocolate in a microwave, place chopped chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at 30-second intervals. Stir each time in between until the chocolate is melted and smooth. It takes about 2-3 minutes in total depending on the amount of chocolate and the power of your microwave.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE COVERED BANANAS
It’s this simple – peel and halve ripe bananas and insert a popsicle stick in the bottom. Place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper and freeze for about 1 hour. Melt the chocolate and dip banana, one piece at a time, in melted chocolate and sprinkle with your favorite toppings. Serve and enjoy!
CHOCOLATE BANANAS 6 WAYS WITH DIFFERENT TOPPING OPTIONS
Choosing toppings is my favorite process of making this recipe. Involve your kids and they will have so much fun! My Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas use the 6 topping options below:
- crushed M&Ms
- fruity pebble cereal
- cinnamon toast crunch
- colored sprinkles
- shredded coconut
- crushed pretzels
SECRETS AND TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE COVERED BANANAS
- Use ripe bananas for this recipe, especially the ones are covered with small brown spots on the skin, as they are sweeter and the finished product will have a creamier texture.
- Coconut oil is important if you’d like to have a thin crispy chocolate shell. You can substitute with olive oil.
- You can substitute popsicle sticks with chopsticks if you don’t have them on hand.
- After dipping the frozen bananas into the melted chocolate, the chocolate hardens very quickly, so you need to sprinkle toppings fast so that they can stick on the chocolate.
- Chocolate covered bananas taste best if you can leave them in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes after moving them out of the freezer.
- You can serve immediately or wrap them in plastic wrap individually. It keeps well in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- If you don’t use up all your melted chocolate, don’t throw them away. You can spread it on waxed paper and let it harden. Then scrape them from the waxed paper, chop and reserve for sprinkling on desserts.
Watch How to Make Chocolate Covered Bananas:
Super Easy Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas 6 Ways (Video!)
- 6 popsicle sticks
- 16 oz chocolate
- 3 bananas
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- M&Ms, crushed
- Fruity Pebbles cereal
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal
- pretzels, crushed
- coconut shreds
- almonds, sliced
- colored sprinkles
- Slice three peeled bananas in half and insert popsicle sticks into each.
- Place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper and freeze for about 1 hour
- In a large microwavable bowl, add the chocolate and coconut oil and microwave in 30 seconds intervals until smooth.
- Take a banana and use a spoon to coat with chocolate one a time. Sprinkle each banana with a different topping.
- Serve and enjoy!
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
Looking for more chocolate covered snacks?
Chocolate covered fruits and other snacks are great for any special occasions. Here are a few of my favorite chocolate covered recipes.