Sweet and Sour Chicken Meal Prep
This Sweet and Sour Chicken Meal Prep features crispy chicken, bell peppers, onions and pineapple in a sweet and sour sauce. It only takes 20 minutes to make irresistible lunches and dinners for the entire week!
If you love Chinese food, sweet and sour chicken is probably on your list of fave dishes like it is for us! There’s something so comforting, so mouthwatering about crispy chicken in a sticky sauce, and the bell peppers, onions and pineapple.
As with all meal prep, you can save a lot of time and money by prepping once for the entire week. And you’ll actually look forward to mealtimes when you know the yummy food that’s coming.
The sweet and sour flavor improves during storage, so you won’t believe how yummy it is. Simply pair with some rice to make a complete meal.
Looking for more meal prep ideas?
- Lemon Chicken Meal Prep
- Orange Chicken Meal Prep
- Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep
- Pad Thai Meal Prep
- Beef Lo Mein Meal Prep
How to Meal Prep
With meal prep, you can prepare all of your meals on Sunday and then take it easy the rest of the week. Meal prep can be a life saver when work and school schedules get hectic.
- Meal prep frees your mind to focus on what’s important to you instead of having to make decisions at every meal
- You can resist convenience options like takeout and fast food, while all while managing portion sizes
- It’ll save a pile of money on restaurant food and reduce your cooking time.
Sweet and sour chicken meal prep is one of the easier meal prep recipes. To save on prep time, have the butcher cube the chicken for you in advance!
Tips for Selecting Meal Prep Containers
Having a decent set of meal prep containers will help keep your organized, making meal prepping easier and faster. They can also look good!
Most meal prep containers have a rectangular shape and will hold 4-5 cups of food.
Use the following tips for selecting them:
- Brand and size: Buy the same brand and size of containers! Trust me, you don’t want to be sorting through mismatched lids on different types of containers.
- Quantity: You want to buy a pack of at least 10 containers to have enough ready to be loaded up at any time.
- Material: Microwaveable, BPA-free plastic containers like these ones are the best lightweight option if you’re always on-the-go. Glass containers are a good durable alternative if you want to avoid plastic.
Sweet and Sour Chicken Meal Prep
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar, or honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, low sodium recommended
- 1/4 cup water
Serving - optional
- 4 cups steamed rice
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce and water. Set aside.
- Place cornstarch in a ziplock bag. Add chicken and shake to coat evenly.
- In a small bowl, add the beaten egg. In another bowl, add the flour. Set aside along with a wire cooling rack.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and heat to 350˚F until almost smoking.
- Dip 6-8 pieces of chicken into the egg, and then the flour. Shake off excess and add to the oil.
- Fry 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy, and remove to the rack with a slotted spoon. Repeat for the remaining chicken pieces.
- Remove and drain oil. Set aside.
- Add onion, bell peppers and pineapple to the pan. Sauté for about 2 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the reserved sauce mixture and bring to boil.
- Add in the cooked chicken pieces and stir to coat evenly with the sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more Chinese recipes?
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.