This Teriyaki Chicken is so much better than takeout. It’s the easiest and most unbelievably delicious Chicken Teriyaki that will be on your table in only 15 minutes!
Who doesn’t love Teriyaki Chicken? It’s a sumptuous Asian main course of stir fried chicken with a ginger soy sauce glaze… with less than 200 calories per serving.
Teriyaki Chicken or Chicken Teriyaki is one of the most popular easy and tasty dinner ideas, especially served with rice and vegetables. However, it’s also a great dish for sharing, so keep it in mind for date night or movie night!
Teriyaki was invented in Japan over 300 years ago as a way to flavor chicken, salmon, shrimp and other dishes. It’s a cooking technique where foods are coated with a glaze of soy sauce, Mirin and sugar, with ginger or red pepper flakes optional.
Teriyaki Chicken is called 照り焼きチキン in Japanese. We’ve made a few modifications by substituting in rice vinegar for sake, and honey for sugar. This dish is perfect for our busy lives because it’s ready in 15 minutes and requires no special equipment.
HOW TO MAKE TERIYAKI CHICKEN
This recipe is so quick that you might wish to start cooking the rice and veg first. That way everything will be ready at the same time. Broccoli is a great choice for a vegetable, and other alternatives include snap peas or Chinese broccoli.
To make Teriyaki Chicken, start by making this easy teriyaki sauce in a small mixing bowl.
The next step is to place a skillet like this one or a wok over medium-high heat. We recommend a large 14-inch skillet like this one to cook as much chicken as possible in one batch and save time.
Place the cubed chicken in the pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side, just enough to lightly brown the pieces and create some caramelized flavor. Leave some space between the pieces to brown quickly.
Once the pieces have browned after several minutes, you can add the teriyaki sauce. The cornstarch in the sauce will make it thicken within a minute, so stir constantly to avoid getting clumps. Here is a photo of partially coated chicken pieces as the sauce is thickening:
Once the teriyaki sauce is fully thickened, it will have fully coated the chicken and the spoon! Immediately remove the pan from the heat:
STEP BY STEP PHOTOS
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING TERIYAKI CHICKEN
There are some useful tips to keep in mind when making Chicken Teriyaki:
- Use fresh chicken instead of frozen, which can be chewy
- Get the butcher to cube the chicken for you to save preparation time
- Fry the chicken pieces in two batches for less crowding and better browning
For the healthiest Teriyaki Chicken possible:
- Use low-sodium soy sauce
- Halve the amount of honey to reduce sugar content
- Serve with brown rice or another whole grain
You can make Teriyaki Chicken in advance and reheat it in the microwave. It does not freeze well, so better to quickly make it from scratch. Enjoy!
WATCH NOW: HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TERIYAKI
15 Minute Easy Teriyaki Chicken (with Video)
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar apple cider or rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder or minced fresh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional serving ideas
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 green onion minced
- steamed rice
- green vegetable broccoli or other
- Start cooking rice and vegetables if applicable.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, ginger powder, garlic, vinegar and cornstarch.
- Place a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1-2 tsp oil and cubed chicken.
- Fry 2-3 minutes per side until nicely browned. If not browning, increase heat and continue for another minute.
- Add sauce mixture to chicken and stir continuously until it thickens to coat the chicken.
- Remove from heat. Serve in bowls with rice and vegetable, and garnish with optional sesame seeds and green onion. Enjoy!
-For the chicken to brown properly, there should be a bit of space between the pieces in the pan. Fry in batches if your pan is small or you're doubling the recipe.
Looking for more Asian chicken recipes?
- 20 Minute General Tso’s Chicken
- 20 Minute Easy Chicken Pad Thai
- Easy Crispy Chinese Lemon Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
Looking for more chicken recipes?
Looking for more quick and easy dinner recipes?
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Shrimp Boil in Foil Packets
- 20 Minute One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Best Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here