This Teriyaki Chicken is loaded with mouthwatering sticky, savory and slightly sweet chicken. It’s the easiest and most unbelievably delicious Chicken Teriyaki that will be on your table in only 15 minutes! So much better than takeout. Plus recipe video tutorial!Who doesn’t love Teriyaki Chicken? It’s a sumptuous Asian main course of stir fried chicken with a ginger soy sauce glaze… with less than 200 calories per serving.
This Teriyaki Chicken recipe is a variation of traditional Japanese Chicken Teriyaki and uses the ingredients that are more accessible in America. It tastes somewhat like Honey Garlic Chicken, and is one of my favorite easy and tasty dinner ideas, along with General Tso’s Chicken, Honey Garlic Shrimp, Shrimp Boil Foil Packets and Chicken Pad Thai.
Teriyaki was invented in Japan over 300 years ago as a way to flavor chicken, salmon, shrimp and other dishes. It’s a cooking technique where foods are coated with a glaze of soy sauce, Mirin and sugar, with ginger or red pepper flakes optional.
Teriyaki Chicken is called 照り焼きチキン in Japanese. After many trials, I find this recipe taste so delicious and really close to the Authentic Teriyaki Chicken. It’s made with ingredients that you might already have in your pantry.
I’ve made a few modifications by substituting rice vinegar and honey for the traditional sake and mirin. This dish is perfect for our busy lives because it’s ready in 15 minutes and requires no special equipment.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken
Start cooking the rice and vegetable first so everything is ready at the same time. Here are the 3 main steps for making it:
Step 1: Make Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce is easy to make and so much better than the store-bought bottles. It’s sweet and savory with fresh ingredients.
There are two ways to make Teriyaki Sauce:
- Traditional authentic Teriyaki sauce is made of Mirin, Sake, soy sauce and sugar.
- American alternative uses soy sauce, honey (or sugar), vinegar, ginger, garlic and cornstarch. In this recipe I use the latter: In a small mixing bowl, add all Teriyaki Sauce ingredients and mix well.
Step 2: Sauté the Chicken
Cut your chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place a skillet or wok on medium-high heat. Add oil, and then place the cubed chicken in the pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side, just enough to lightly brown the pieces and create some caramelized flavor. Leave some space between the pieces to brown quickly.
Note: I recommend using a large 14-inch skillet to not overcrowd the chicken. If your pan is not large enough, you can cook in two batches.
Step 3: Add Teriyaki Sauce
Once the pieces have browned after several minutes, you can add the Teriyaki Sauce. The cornstarch in the sauce will make it thicken within minutes, so stir constantly to avoid getting clumps.
Once the teriyaki sauce is fully thickened, it will have fully coated the chicken and the spoon! Immediately remove the pan from the heat.
Step by Step Process Photos
Here’s a graphic showing how to make Chicken Teriyaki:
How to Serve Teriyaki Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken is usually served over rice with broccoli and garnished with sesame seeds and green onions.
You can also use other vegetables such as snap peas, Chinese broccoli, etc. If you want to make your dish healthier, you can serve Teriyaki Chicken on brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice or lettuce wrap.
Tips and Secrets for Making the Best Teriyaki Chicken
- You can use either chicken thighs or chicken breast for this recipe, but chicken thighs will work better as they have more moisture than chicken breasts
- Make sure to cut your chicken into small cubes (about 1 inch), allowing for quicker cooking and easy browning.
- If you have extra time, you can make extra teriyaki sauce to marinate your chicken. This process will produce extra tender and more flavorful chicken.
- Start with medium heat to sauté your chicken, making sure not to overcrowd your pan. You may need to do it in two batches if your pan is not big enough.
- Add sauce immediately as soon as your chicken turns brown. Avoid over-cooking your chicken. Turn the heat up after you add in teriyaki sauce so that it thickens fast.
For the healthiest Teriyaki Chicken possible:
- Use low-sodium soy sauce
- Halve the amount of honey to reduce sugar content
- Serve with brown rice or another whole grain
WATCH NOW: HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TERIYAKI
15 Minute Easy Teriyaki Chicken (with Video)
This Teriyaki Chicken is loaded with mouthwatering sticky, savory and slightly sweet chicken. It’s the easiest and most unbelievably delicious Chicken Teriyaki that will be on your table in only 15 minutes! So much better than takeout. Plus recipe video tutorial!
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar apple cider or rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder or minced fresh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional serving ideas
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 green onion minced
- steamed rice
- green vegetable broccoli or other
- Start cooking rice and vegetables if applicable.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, ginger powder, garlic, vinegar and cornstarch.
- Place a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1-2 tsp oil and cubed chicken.
- Fry 2-3 minutes per side until nicely browned. If not browning, increase heat and continue for another minute.
- Add sauce mixture to chicken and stir continuously until it thickens to coat the chicken.
- Remove from heat. Serve in bowls with rice and vegetable, and garnish with optional sesame seeds and green onion. Enjoy!
-For the chicken to brown properly, there should be a bit of space between the pieces in the pan. Fry in batches if your pan is small or you're doubling the recipe.
Looking for more Asian chicken recipes?
- Easy Crispy Chinese Lemon Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Moo Goo Gai Pan
- Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Bourbon Chicken
Looking for more chicken recipes?
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
Looking for more quick and easy dinner recipes?
- 20 Minute One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Best Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes
- Garlic Beef Lo Mein
- Pulled Pork Sandwich
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here