Easy Teriyaki Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken is a super easy 15 minute chicken recipe with a 5-ingredient teriyaki sauce made using pantry staples!
This recipe doesn’t require marinating and is perfect for our busy lives. It’s loaded with sticky, savory and slightly sweet chicken teriyaki that your whole family will love! With only 260 calories per serving, it is also healthier than your favorite take-out.
TERIYAKI CHICKEN RECIPE
Who doesn’t love easy teriyaki chicken! It’s a sumptuous Japanese chicken recipe where stir-fried skinless chicken thighs are glazed with a sticky teriyaki sauce. I love Panda Express’ grilled teriyaki chicken, but now you can easily make it at home!
CHICKEN TERIYAKI SAUCE
The best part of this recipe is the SAUCE! It is a variation of my Homemade Teriyaki Sauce recipe and requires only 5 simple ingredients. When simmered with stir-fried chicken, it becomes sticky and bubbly. So much better than any store-bought sauce!
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients:
- Soy Sauce
- Honey (or sugar)
You can also add ginger to the sauce for extra flavor. If you have mirin and sake, you can definitely use them to replace the vinegar and have a more authentic Teriyaki. I like to make extra sauce and drizzle it over my Rice and Steamed Broccoli!
HOW TO MAKE TERIYAKI CHICKEN
- Stir-fry cubed chicken in a skillet with oil for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add teriyaki sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Stir constantly to avoid getting clumps.
- Coat your chicken with the sauce thoroughly. And that’s it!
Note: I recommend using a large 14-inch skillet so that you won’t overcrowd the chicken. If your pan is not large enough, you can cook in two batches.
TIPS FOR THE BEST TERIYAKI CHICKEN STIR FRY
- Chicken breasts or chicken thighs? You can use either thighs or breasts for this recipe, but chicken thighs are moister and less likely to dry out.
- Can I make it in a slow cooker? Yes! Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken is easy to make and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare. Add all teriyaki chicken ingredients in your crockpot and cook on high for 2-4 hours.
- Can I make it in the oven? Yes! Baked teriyaki chicken uses the same ingredients. You can marinate your chicken first and then bake it in the oven. Here is a guide on How Long to Bake Chicken.
- What to serve with teriyaki chicken? I usually serve it over rice with broccoli in a bowl for the teriyaki chicken bowl. You can also serve it over noodles or sandwich. For a healthier option consider serving with cauliflower rice or lettuce wraps.
EASY TERIYAKI CHICKEN RECIPE: WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
15 minutes to make. Serve with rice and broccoli for a perfect meal!
- 1 1/2 lb chicken thighs (boneless, skinless), or chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey,
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, apple cider or rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder, optional
Optional serving ideas
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 green onion, minced
- steamed rice
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, garlic, vinegar and cornstarch and optional ginger powder.
- Add oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add cubed chicken.
- Fry 2-3 minutes per side until nicely browned. If not browning, increase heat and continue for another minute.
- Add sauce mixture to chicken and stir continuously until it thickens to coat the chicken.
- Remove from heat. Serve in bowls with rice and vegetable, and garnish with optional sesame seeds and green onion. Enjoy!
- Make sure to cut your chicken into small 1-inch / 2 cm cubes to allow for quicker cooking and easy browning.
- Start with medium heat to sauté your chicken, making sure not to overcrowd your pan. You may need to do it in two batches if your pan is not big enough.
- Add sauce immediately as soon as your chicken turns brown. Avoid over-cooking your chicken. Turn the heat up after you add in the sauce so that it thickens fast.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
MORE TERIYAKI RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.