Best Ice Cream Sandwich
This ice cream sandwich features homemade brownie wafers with your favorite ice cream. These ice cream sandwiches are perfect for backyard barbecues and parties all summer long! It only takes 20 minutes to make this ice cream sandwich recipe.
While I always enjoy a Skinny Cow or Fatboy ice cream sandwich, nothing compares to homemade ice cream sandwiches! They taste better than storebought and there’s no rushing back from the store in the heat of summer. Plus, it’s the perfect make-ahead dessert!
While any day is ice cream sandwich day in my opinion, these treats go over great for any summer party not to mention National Ice Cream Sandwich Day on August 2nd. Alternatively, use them to make this patriotic ice cream sandwich cake for Memorial Day or Fourth of July.
HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
We’re making the wafers using homemade brownie better baked on baking sheet instead of a brownie pan. The brownies come out much thinner and work beautifully as wafers.
If you prefer, you can use the same method to make an ice cream cookie sandwich using our chocolate chip cookie dough recipe. Vanilla ice cream is the classic filling along with strawberry, chocolate and even Neapolitan works well.
Follow these tips for making ice cream sandwiches:
- Grease the baking sheet and line with parchment paper to prevent sticking
- Make sure your baking sheet lies flat, i.e. is not warped
- Cool the wafers completely before assembling to avoid melting the ice cream!
- Wrap the sandwiches individually in wax paper or parchment before freezing.
It’s also best to make them ahead of time, so they have time to freeze solid and not melt while serving.
To limit ice cream sandwich calories, simply cut into smaller portions to make mini ice cream sandwiches! You can also use low-fat ice cream.
Instead of a baking sheet you can also make the wafers using an ice cream sandwich maker. These silicone baking trays produce identical size wafers that can be easily unmolded. Just note that you’ll need 3 trays to make the 12 sandwiches in this recipe.
In addition to this classic chocolate flavor, there are other popular variations to try:
- Cookie ice cream sandwich: use your favorite cookie batter in this recipe
- Donut ice cream sandwich: make or buy donuts and fill with ice cream
- Oreo ice cream sandwich: Remove the filling from the Oreos and replace with ice cream
If you’re really feeling adventurous, try making a churro ice cream sandwich by deep frying 3-inch round churros and filling with ice cream. There are so many mouthwatering possibilities!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, 3/4 cup, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream, 1 quart
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a medium rimmed baking sheet and line with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Beat in the eggs one-by-one along with the vanilla until combined.
- Beat in the flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth to an even layer about 1/4-inch (3/4 cm) thick.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Remove ice cream from freezer to soften 15 minutes before assembly.
- Once cool, lift the edges of the parchment/baking mat and invert the cake onto a cutting board or work surface. Peel off any parchment.
- Using a paring knife (and ruler if required), cut the cake into two equal halves, trimming the edges to be straight as needed.
- When ice cream is soft, spoon onto one half, and use an offset spatula to spread it into an even 3/4-inch (2 cm) layer. Work quickly to minimize melting.
- Place the remaining brownie piece on top, smooth side facing up.
- Promptly wrap with parchment or wax paper. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer and peel off paper. Cut 12 (3x4) or 16 (4x4) sandwiches. Optional: use a toothpick to poke 6-8 holes into each wafer.
- Serve or refreeze until serving.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.