Easy Chicken Stir Fry
Chicken Stir Fry has tender chicken and vegetables in a delicious sauce. This chicken stir fry recipe will be on your table in 20 minutes for a healthy weeknight dinner that’s easy to make!
Chicken stir fry is a go-to recipe when you want a quick dinner. You get juicy chicken and vegetables coated in a mouthwatering honey garlic sauce. It’s guaranteed to satisfy even the pickiest eaters!
Preparing this chicken and vegetable stir fry couldn’t be easier. The protein and veggies are all cooked together, making this a simple one-pan meal. No marinade required!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN STIR FRY
There are just 3 steps to make this easy chicken stir fry recipe:
- Brown the chicken pieces in a large skillet or wok.
- Add the vegetables to sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sauce and let it thicken.
Browning the chicken really enhances the flavors in this dish. As long as you don’t crowd the pan, the cubed chicken will turn golden in minutes!
VEGETABLES FOR STIR FRY
Fresh vegetables make for a healthy chicken stir fry recipe. We used garlic, broccoli and red bell pepper here. Sometimes I’ll add some minced ginger too.
You can also substitute veggies based on what’s in the fridge:
- Cabbage (chicken cabbage stir fry)
- Green beans (chicken and green bean stir fry)
- Mushrooms (chicken mushroom stir fry)
While frozen vegetables are not ideal, you can buy pre-cut vegetables as a way to save time.
More chicken stir fry recipes:
CHICKEN STIR FRY SAUCE
Stir fry sauce is the secret to the best chicken stir fry recipe! You can make this one with pantry ingredients:
- Chicken broth: this adds volume to the sauce.
- Soy sauce: this adds flavor, but try to use low-sodium if possible.
- Honey: this adds a hint of sweetness.
- Cornstarch and water: this slurry thickens the sauce so it coats the chicken.
Asian sesame oil is optional for extra seasoning. You can also add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for some heat.
WATCH HOW TO STIR FRY CHICKEN:
This video tutorial shows how to make a chicken vegetable stir fry:
Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium recommended (see note)
- 1-2 tbsp honey, to taste
Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, or carrots, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli, florets
- 2 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 2 tsp water
Extra Seasoning - Optional
- 1 tsp Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, broth and honey until dissolved. Reserve.
- Place a large skillet on medium-high heat. When hot, add the oil and cubed chicken. (see note)
- Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Then turn the pieces over and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the garlic and vegetables and stir fry for 3-5 minutes until just starting to soften.
- Add soy sauce mixture to the pan. Cover and cook for one minute until reduced slightly.
- Add the optional sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Then add the cornstarch-water mixture.
- Stir for 30-60 seconds until the sauce has thickened enough to barely coat the chicken pieces.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with rice or noodles as desired.
- You can substitute cubed chicken thighs for chicken breasts.
- A quality low-sodium soy sauce such as San-J or Kikkoman is ideal. To make this dish gluten-free, use coconut aminos instead.
- Avoid crowding the pan to ensure the chicken browns properly. Fry in batches if needed.
More stir fry recipes:
Editor note: Originally published April 5, 2018 and updated June 22, 2019
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.