This Pineapple Chicken is such a quick and easy stir-fry of chicken, pineapple and bell peppers in a mouthwatering sweet and savory sauce. It’ll be on your dinner table in 20 minutes, so much fresher and healthier than takeout!
Pineapple Chicken is a juicy and tangy stir-fry combining tropical flavors with a Chinese-style sauce. Each bite will take you away to Hawaii and the tropics…
This is one of our favorite chicken and pineapple recipes along with Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken, Sweet and Sour Chicken and Barbecue Pineapple Chicken Kabobs. Make it for a simple weeknight dinner, or double the recipe to feed a crowd if you’re entertaining.
You can serve pineapple chicken with rice to make a complete meal with protein, fruit, vegetables and carbs in every serving! It’s one of those kid-friendly recipes that even picky eaters love <3.
How to Make the Best Pineapple Chicken
The ingredients for pineapple chicken are easy to find, and you might have them in your fridge and pantry:
- Chicken: you can use chicken thighs, which are juicier and more flavorful, or chicken breasts if you prefer white meat and want a lighter option. Chicken tenders also work.
- Pineapple: fresh pineapple chunks are the most flavorful and is often available at the supermarket, but decent quality canned or frozen pineapple will work as well.
- Bell peppers: pick your favorite bell pepper colors – we used red, yellow and green
- Cornstarch: helps the sauce to glaze the chicken; if you don’t have any, use flour whisked together with an equal amount of water to avoid lumps
If you’ve bought an entire pineapple, you can cut it into halves and hollow it out. Then fill it with rice and pineapple chicken for a stunning presentation!
Pineapple chicken stands on its own without the need for garnishes like green onions or sesame seeds. Keep it simple, right?
Equipment for Making Pineapple Chicken
- Skillet: A large nonstick skillet is what you’ll want to use for this recipe.
- Knives: a chef’s knife will make quick work of cutting up the chicken, bell pepper and onion.
- Cutting board: Bamboo or nylon cutting boards, with the bamboo being a more sustainable option.
- Rice cooker: if you’re not comfortable steaming rice, then invest in a basic rice cooker or use an Instapot to do it.
Easy Pineapple Chicken
This Pineapple Chicken is such a quick and easy stir-fry of chicken, pineapple and bell peppers in a sweet and savory sauce. Your family and friends will love its mouthwatering tropical flavors, and it’ll be on your dinner table in 20 minutes.
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" cubes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion cut into 1" pieces
- 2 bell peppers color of choice, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 tbsp soy sauce low sodium recommended
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch or flour, mixed with 2 tbsp water
- steamed white rice optional - for serving
In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, water and cornstarch. Set aside.
Cut the chicken into pieces and pat dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.
When the oil is hot, add the chicken and sauté 2 minutes per side until lightly browned.
Add onion, bell peppers and pineapple to the pan and sauté several minutes more until softened.
Add the reserved sauce mixture and bring to boil, stirring continuously until the pieces are coated, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more easy chicken recipes?
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Orange Chicken
- Lemon Chicken
- Bourbon Chicken
- Sesame Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here