15 Minute Easy Chicken Fajitas
Easy Chicken Fajitas – mouthwatering juicy chicken, seared bell peppers and onions with flavorful fajita seasonings, all wrapped in a flour tortilla. It’s like restaurant-style fajitas but even better! It will be on your dinner table in just 15 minutes! Plus video tutorial!
These Chicken Fajitas are a super easy and delicious answer to weeknight dinners. It is one of my favorite chicken recipes, along with Chicken Teriyaki, Honey Garlic Chicken, General Tso’s Chicken, Chicken Pad Thai, Lemon Chicken and Moo Goo Gai Pan.
Fajitas recipes are also very versatile: you can make it with chicken, shrimp or steak, with skillet, sheet pan or even slow cooker. For this recipe, I used skillet, but I you can also make them in the oven for the Sheet Pan Baked Chicken Fajitas, Baked Shrimp Fajitas or Steak Fajitas in Foil Packets.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Fajita is Tex-Mex cuisine and it was traditionally made with grilled skirt steak. The technique is to quickly sear the meat on a grill and cut it to serve. The steak could still be rare in the middle. When using the same technique on chicken, it’s better to cut the chicken into narrow strips to get them cooked quickly.
Step 1: Make Homemade Fajita Seasoning
The essential fajita seasoning has only a few ingredients: cumin powder, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper. You can adjust the proportions from the recipe below depending on how spicy you want it. It keeps well for up to six months if stored in an airtight container.
Step 2: Prepare the Chicken and Vegetables
First, slice your chicken breasts horizontally so that you will get a thinner piece of chicken, which will be less likely to dry out. Then slice the meat into less than 1/2 inch strips.
Cut the bell pepper and onions to thin strips as well. I used the combination of red, yellow and green bell pepper for the best color combination.
Tips for Easily Cutting Chicken into Thin Strips
Freeze the chicken for about 30 minutes before cutting it. This will firm up the chicken so that it’s much easier to slice. Cut it against the grain.
Note: This dish tastes amazing with no marinating step required. However, if you have extra time, you can marinate the chicken with fajita seasoning in a zip-loc bag. Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours, and it will give the dish more flavor.
Step 3: Sear the Chicken
Heat a large skillet on high heat for 1 or 2 minutes, and add 1 tablespoon of oil. As soon as the oil almost begins to smoke, add chicken strips over high heat. Avoid chicken from overlapping. Add half of your fajita seasoning. Stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Once cooked, remove the chicken strips to a plate and cover them in foil to keep warm.
Step 4: Sauté Bell Peppers and Onions
In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil. As soon as the oil is hot, add bell pepper and onion slices. Then add the rest of fajita seasoning. Sauté them until crisp-tender. Add the chicken back to the skillet and stir to combine. Then remove from the heat and drizzle with fresh lime juice.
Step 5: Assemble Chicken Fajitas
Warm your tortillas in single layer in another skillet over medium heat, flipping once until they are warm on both sides. You can also heat them up in an oven or even microwave.
To assemble your chicken fajitas, take a piece of warm flour tortilla, and scoop chicken fajita mixture into the center of each tortilla. Then add sour cream, chopped cilantro or sliced avocado.
Note: You can wrap the warm tortillas in a clean dishtowel to keep warm.
Tips and Secrets for Making Chicken Fajitas
- Use thinner pieces of chicken. If your chicken breasts are thick, you can slice them horizontally, and then cut them into less than ½ inch strips. Freezing them for about 30 minutes before cutting makes it easier to slice. Cut against the grain.
- If you are in a rush, you don’t have to marinate the chicken. But if you have extra time, consider marinate the chicken with the fajita seasoning, and it will give the dish extra flavor.
- When adding chicken to the skillet, avoid overlapping.
- Make sure your skillet and oil is hot before you add in chicken strips. Cooking them on high heat so that you can get the char grilled crust.
You can make the fajita seasoning and cut your chicken and vegetables, then mix them together to marinate the night before. Don’t marinate for more than 24 hours. You can store the marinade in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator. The next day, you can just sear them in the pan and dinner will be ready in no time!
Watch Now: How to Make Chicken Fajitas
Easy 15 Minute Chicken Fajitas (with Video)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
- 3 bell peppers, red, yellow, green - sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne, optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder, or minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas, 8 inch size
- lime, wedges
- fresh cilantro, chopped - optional
- sour cream, optional
- In a mason jar or mixing bowl, add all fajita seasoning ingredients and mix well.
- On a work surface, cut chicken breasts, onions and peppers into less than 1/2 inch strips.
- Place a cast iron pan over high heat and add 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
- When the pan is hot, add chicken and half of the fajita seasoning. Avoid chicken from overlapping. Stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Once cooked, remove the chicken strips to a plate and cover them in foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil. As soon as the oil is hot, add bell pepper and onion slices. Add the rest fajita seasoning. Sauté them until crisp-tender. Add the chicken back to the skillet and stir to combine. Then remove from the heat and drizzle with fresh lime juice.
- Place a second skillet over medium heat, and add tortillas one-by-one for 30 seconds to heat up.
- Spoon the chicken, onions and peppers into hot tortillas. Squeeze lime juice and garnish with optional cilantro and sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.