These Chicken Fajitas are an easy and healthy dinner idea that’s ready in 30 minutes. So delicious and perfect to feed a crowd!
These Chicken Fajitas is the baked chicken version of our chicken fajitas stir fry. It’s a great way to make fajitas with just as much flavor! Instead of cooking in batches over a cast iron pan, you simply put everything onto a sheet pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes!
Baked chicken fajitas are a fun way to feed the entire family, and work just as well for a party. And they smell delicious while baking in the oven.
Chicken fajitas are a variation on the original steak fajitas that were invented in Texas in the 1930s. Back then flank steak was pounded and marinated in lime juice before being grilled over an open fire and rolled into a tortilla.
Today fajitas consist of meat is sautéed with onions and bell peppers in cast iron pans and served in steaming hot flour tortillas. Even though they’re mostly eaten in restaurants, there’s no reason not to make these baked fajitas at home!
Everyone loves to assemble their own fajita, so we suggest putting out some garnishes like sour cream, chopped cilantro and fresh lime wedges.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN FAJITAS
To make these fajitas, the only equipment you’ll need is a medium-large baking sheet! So simple.
Start by slicing chicken breasts into 1/2 inch strips, and then do the same for the onions and bell peppers. Then spread it out in the sheet pan before adding the spices and oil on top:
Then use some tongs to distribute the spices and oil evenly within the pan. You can also use two spoons or your fingers, just be sure to wash with hot soapy water afterward.
Bake for 15 minutes until the juices are sizzling in the pan. Remove the pan from the oven and slide some of the mixture over to make space for the tortillas. Mop up excess juices with paper towel to prevent the tortillas from becoming soggy.
Then add the tortillas and return to the oven for 5 more minutes. Now’s a good time to also get your garnishes ready, so you can serve these baked fajitas hot out of the oven.
TIPS AND VARIATIONS FOR MAKING BAKED CHICKEN FAJITAS
There are several handy tips and tricks for making baked chicken fajitas:
- Buy chicken breasts in strips from the supermarket to save preparation time
- Make your fajita seasoning in advance to save time measuring spices; you can also use a store-bought seasoning like this one.
- Use whole wheat tortillas and light sour cream for a healthier option
- You can easily use two sheet pans if you’re doubling the recipe and want to feed a crowd
You can also substitute chicken thighs for chicken breasts if you prefer.
STEP BY STEP PROCESS PHOTOS
Watch How to Make Baked Chicken Fajitas:
Easy Oven-Baked Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas (with Video)
These Baked Chicken Fajitas are an easy and healthy dinner idea to feed a crowd. One pan meal with minimal clean-up. So good!
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- 3 bell peppers red, yellow, green
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder or minced garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 flour tortillas 8 inch size
Garnishes - optional
- lime wedges
- fresh cilantro chopped
- sour cream
Preheat oven to 400°F. Set aside a large baking sheet.
On a work surface, cut chicken breasts, onions and peppers into 2-3 inch strips.
Place chicken, peppers, onions and peppers on the baking sheet. Sprinkle cumin, chilli powder, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper on top and drizzle with oil.
Using tongs or two spoons, toss all ingredients on the pan to coat evenly.
Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and use tongs to slide the ingredients one quarter of the way over.
- Mop up excess juices with a paper towel, and then add the tortillas to the pan. Return to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
Remove from oven and squeeze optional fresh lime on top. Serve in tortillas with optional cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy!
-You can substitute fajita seasoning mix instead of cumin, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper to save time.
Looking for more Fajitas recipes?
- 15 Minute Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Easy Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Steak Fajitas Foil Packets
Looking for more easy chicken recipes?
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Lemon Chicken Meal Prep
- Chicken Marsala
- Chicken Pad Thai
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken With Potatoes and Green Beans
Also check out more of our easy dinner ideas.