Baked Burrito Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Burrito Casserole is an easy and delicious beef burrito recipe where ground beef is sauteed with beans, onions, corn and other seasonings. Then the mixture is wrapped in flour tortillas and baked until golden brown. It’s a cheesy Mexican burrito recipe that everyone loves.
EASY BURRITO CASSEROLE
We love baked burritos and cook it for a quick weeknight Tex Mex meal as well as on holidays. It’s full of the best flavors AND kid friendly too! It has become the perfect addition to my dinner rotations along with Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes, Taco Pasta, Taco Casserole and Chimichurri Steak.
Making baked burrito casserole isn’t as difficult as it may seem. You only need 10 minutes of prep time and then into the oven it goes, freeing you up to do other things.
The best part of this recipe is the filling. It’s SO GOOD that it makes a great pasta sauce or a delicious dip for chips! There are also a lot of swap options available since we’re making this beef burrito from scratch. The secret to the best seasoning is homemade taco seasoning. It’s really easy to make and is much better than packaged taco seasonings.
HOW TO MAKE A BURRITO CASSEROLE
What makes this the best burrito casserole recipe? Use lean ground beef, make sure it’s well seasoned and add lots of cheese for a super cheesy burrito casserole!
This recipe uses some simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, and it comes together in a snap!
- Make the filling with ground beef, onions, corn, black beans and seasoning.
- Wrap the filling in flour tortillas.
- Place tortillas in a baking dish, and cover with cheese.
- Bake to golden brown and sprinkle on some chopped green onions and serve!
Can I Make a Burrito Casserole Ahead of Time? Yes, you can make it ahead until the baking step and freeze it in an airtight bag. Frozen burrito casserole can last for about 2 months in the freezer. Please note that you will need to add additional 15-20 minutes baking time for frozen burritos.
Can I substitute other types of meat or beans? Yes, you can substitute cooked chicken in place of ground beef. It’s ok to make a burrito casserole without the beans, substituting in extra meat instead. You can also go meatless for a vegetarian option if you prefer. Add cream of chicken soup for a creamy burrito casserole! This recipe is versatile, so the sky’s the limit!
What Is the Right Consistency for the Ground Beef Mixture? For this recipe, if the beef mixture is too runny, the ground beef burrito casserole will get soggy. Be patient and boil down the liquid so that the meat mixture is thick enough to be easily wrapped in the burritos.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE BAKED BURRITOS:
Baked Burrito Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 oz canned black beans, drained
- 2/3 cup corn
- ¾ cup salsa
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 8 flour tortillas, 8-inch size
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese, mixture of cheddar and jack
Serving - optional
- green onions, chopped
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef.
- Stir for 3-5 minutes until the beef is mostly browned. Strained out grease that accumulates.
- Add chopped onion, and cook until soft.
- Add in black beans, salsa and corn. Add oregano, cumin, garlic powder and salt & pepper. Stir for about 3 minutes.
- Spoon about ½ cup of beef mixture to the bottom center of a flour tortilla. Roll up into a burrito shape according to the video.
- Place the filled burritos into the pan, seam side down so they don't unravel.
- Fill the pan with 8 burritos, and then sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the burritos.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions on top. Serve warm and enjoy!
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
Looking for more casserole recipes?
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.
Can I bake them and then freeze them. They look do good
Hi Louise, Thanks for your question and yes! You can definitely bake and reheat. It will take a good hour to reheat in a 375 degree oven. Good luck!
Made this today for dinner, very good!
Hi Robin, Great to hear and thanks for your comment!
Looks amazing, making it tonight
Myself! Sounds & looks delish!! Yummy! My hubby will love this, as will I. #TexMexLove