This Cheesy Burrito Casserole is a delicious weeknight dinner idea that’s loaded with beef, beans, onions, corn and seasonings for a flavorful meal. The best part? It’ll be on your dinner table in 30 minutes. Plus video tutorial!
A burrito casserole is a Tex Mex dish consisting of burritos placed in a baking dish, covered with cheese and then baked in the oven just like our Baked Chicken Fajitas recipe.
When it’s time to serve, simply sprinkle on some chopped green onions and lift the burritos onto serving plates. You can pair with rice and salsa, guacamole and sour cream make great dipping sauces. Getting hangry yet?
How To Make a Cheesy Burrito Casserole
To make it, you only need 10 minutes of prep time and then into the oven it goes, freeing you up to do other things. The first step is making the filling with ground beef, onions, corn and black beans.
Of course you can substitute other types of meat or beans, or you can go meatless for a vegetarian option if you prefer. This recipe is versatile, so the sky’s the limit!
Tips and Tricks to Make a Burrito Casserole
- You can make the casserole ahead of time up until the baking stage and freeze it.
- You can make a burrito casserole without the beans, substituting in extra meat instead.
- For a burrito casserole without tortillas, simply bake the filling in the pan with cheese on top and consider serving with rice.
- Corn tortillas make a great substitute for flour tortillas in this recipe.
- If you’re in the mood for enchiladas, you can pour some enchilada sauce on top before the cheese.
- To make a burrito casserole with tortilla chips, check out our taco casserole recipe.
Watch How To Make Cheesy Burrito Casserole:
Cheesy Burrito Casserole
This Cheesy Burrito Casserole is the ultimate homemade Tex Mex recipe. It's loaded with beef, beans, onions, corn and seasonings for a mouthwatering meal. It'll be on your dinner table in 30 minutes!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 10 oz canned black beans drained
- 2/3 cup corn
- ¾ cup salsa
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas 8-inch size
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese mixture of cheddar and jack cheese
Serving - optional
- chopped green onions optional
- sour cream
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef.
- Stir for 3-5 minutes until the beef is mostly browned. Strained out grease that accumulates.
- Add chopped onion, and cook until soft.
- Add in black beans, salsa and corn. Add oregano, cumin, garlic powder and salt & pepper. Stir for about 3 minutes.
Spoon about ½ cup of beef mixture to the bottom center of a flour tortilla. Roll up into a burrito shape according to the video.
Place the filled burritos into the pan, seam side down so they don't unravel.
- Fill the pan with 8 burritos, and then sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the burritos.
Bake 18-20 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
Sprinkle chopped green onions on top. Serve warm and enjoy!
Looking for more casserole recipes?
- Taco Casserole
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole
- Layered Ham and Cheese Pasta Casserole
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here