Cheesy Ham And Potato Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Ham and potato casserole is a mouthwatering dinner idea your entire family will love! This comfort food features slices of potatoes, ham and cheese in a creamy sauce with a golden au gratin crust on top. Serve it as a main course by itself or as a side with other dishes, and it’s perfect for a party too. Plus video tutorial!
Casseroles are the quintessential one-pan comfort food. You layer the ingredients in the casserole pan, place in the oven to bake and take it straight to the table to serve. Plus, you get an irresistible aroma wafting out of the oven while it bakes, beckoning all hungry diners nearby!
The humble ham potato casserole is one of our favorite dinner ideas rivaled perhaps only by our Scalloped Potatoes and Ham and Ham and Cheese Pasta Bake recipes. We’ve used sliced ham, but you can easily substitute leftover ham from a holiday feast when available.
HOW TO MAKE A HAM AND POTATO CASSEROLE
To make it, start with a square casserole dish. It can be pyrex, enamel ware or an aluminum cake pan. Add separate layers of sliced potatoes, ham, and cheese two times each, followed by the parsley and grated cheese on top.
It’s important to pick the right potato for it to cook nicely. The best potatoes for casseroles are low starch varieties such as red potatoes or thin-skinned white potatoes. They have a waxy texture and won’t fall apart while cooking. Avoid starchy baking potatoes like Idahos or russets.
For the ham, slices will give you the best layered look although leftover ham chunks are amazing if you happen to have some. Shredded or cubed deli ham is another option.
For the cheese slices, we used swiss although a nice medium cheddar works well too. For the top, swiss is a classic, but mozzarella is another possibility.
We suggest checking the oven after 30 minutes to make sure it’s all browning to perfection. If it’s not browning enough, then move it to a higher oven rack to give it a bit more heat. If it’s browning too much, then simply cover the pan with foil.
Once you’ve made this ham potato casserole a few times, you might want to experiment with some delicious variations:
- Add thinly sliced onions to the potato layers
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes to the potato layers for a spicy kick
- Add crumbled cooked bacon beneath the grated cheese on top
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top for an extra crispy au gratin
The possibilities are endless!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE HAM AND POTATO CASSEROLE:
Cheesy Ham & Potato Casserole (With Video)
- 4 large white or red potatoes, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices ham
- 8 slices swiss cheese, or cheddar
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a square 9-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into about 1/4-inch thickness pieces.
- Press a layer of potatoes into the prepared pan and season with salt and pepper. Add 4 slices each of ham and cheese.
- Repeat with layers of potatoes, ham and then cheese slices.
- Add one final layer of potatoes, parsley and then grated cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and half and half. Pour evenly over grated cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Allow to cool slightly. Serve and enjoy!
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
Recipe adapted from FiveHeartHome
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.