Layered Ham And Potato Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Layered Ham and Potato Casserole features potato slices, ham and cheese in a creamy sauce with a golden au gratin crust. It’s hearty, cheesy and oh-so satisfying. Perfect as a main course by itself or as a side dish for a feast!
Casseroles are a quintessential one-pan comfort food from France that’s always popular. You layer the ingredients in a casserole pan, place in the oven to bake and take it straight to the table to serve!
The humble ham potato casserole is one of our favorite dinner ideas rivaled only by our Scalloped Potatoes and Ham and Ham and Cheese Pasta Bake recipes. We’ve used sliced ham, but you can easily substitute leftover ham from a holiday feast when available.
How to Make a Layered Ham and Potato Casserole
To make it, start with a square casserole dish. It can be pyrex, enamel ware or an aluminum cake pan. Add alternating layers of sliced potatoes, ham, and cheese two times each, followed by the parsley and grated cheese on top.
It’s important to pick the right potato for it to cook nicely. The best potatoes for casseroles are low starch varieties such as red potatoes or thin-skinned white potatoes. They have a waxy texture and won’t fall apart while cooking. Avoid starchy baking potatoes like Idahos or russets.
For the ham, slices will give you the best layered look although leftover ham chunks are amazing if you happen to have some. Shredded or cubed deli ham is another option.
For the cheese slices, we used swiss although a nice medium cheddar works well too. For the top, swiss is a classic, but mozzarella is another possibility.
We suggest checking the oven after 30 minutes to make sure it’s all browning to perfection. If it’s not browning enough, then move it to a higher oven rack to give it a bit more heat. If it’s browning too much, then simply cover the pan with foil.
Watch Recipe Video
This short tutorial shows how to make it:
- Add thinly sliced onions to the potato layers
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes to the potato layers for a spicy kick
- Add crumbled cooked bacon beneath the grated cheese on top
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top for an extra crispy au gratin
More Casserole Ideas:
View all casserole recipes
Layered Ham and Potato Casserole
- 4 large white or red potatoes, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices ham
- 8 slices swiss cheese, or cheddar
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a square 9-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into about 1/4-inch thickness pieces.
- Press a layer of potatoes into the prepared pan and season with salt and pepper. Add 4 slices each of ham and cheese.
- Repeat with layers of potatoes, ham and then cheese slices.
- Add one final layer of potatoes, parsley and then grated cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and half and half. Pour evenly over grated cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Slicing: A mandolin slicer is helpful in getting a consistent thickness on the potato slices for even baking.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
Recipe adapted from FiveHeartHome