Slow Cooker Bacon Garlic Chicken Breast
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Slow Cooker Bacon Garlic Chicken Breast recipe makes the most tender, juicy and flavorful chicken dinner with just 4 ingredients. The chicken breasts get a special treatment when wrapped with tasty bacon, which keeps the chicken moist. The boneless chicken breasts are cooked slowly in a crock pot for several hours, absorbing a surprising amount of flavor from the bacon and seasonings during the lengthy cook time.
Watch Video: Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts
This slow cooker garlic chicken recipe is a simple meal and takes less than 15 minutes to prepare. Place the bacon wrapped chicken in a crock pot and cook for several hours until perfectly brown. Serve it with rice and green vegetables such as broccoli and bok choy for a complete meal. It also goes great with a side like boiled corn.
After our popular Bacon Wrapped Chicken recipe, we discovered the secret of keeping chicken breasts moist and juicy by wrapping them with bacon. The magic combination of brown sugar and bacon creates an unforgettable flavor that everyone loves. Now we are taking it to a new level by using a crock pot, adding more amazing flavor to this impressive chicken meal.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN BREAST MADE WITH ONLY 4 INGREDIENTS
This slow cooker chicken breast (boneless) recipe calls for only 4 simple ingredients plus salt and pepper as optional:
Chicken Breasts: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, although boneless chicken thighs work too.
Bacon: It’s important to use high-quality bacon as it holds better during the lengthy cooking process. Avoid thick-cut bacon, as it’s difficult to wrap around the chicken and may turn out rubbery after cooking.
Brown Sugar: brown sugar goes well with bacon, and the combination of the two creates great flavor.
Garlic: It’s best to use fresh garlic, but garlic powder will also work.
WRAP THE CHICKEN BREASTS
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Then rub it all over the chicken breasts.
Wrap each chicken breast with 2 to 3 strips of bacon. The amount of bacon depends on the size of your chicken and bacon. Try to tuck the bacon beneath the chicken breasts and secure them with toothpicks if necessary. Make sure the bacon won’t unravel during cooking.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT CHICKEN BREAST
After you wrap the chicken breasts with bacon, place them in the bottom of your crock pot in a single layer, snuggling them in as evenly as you can. I usually place 4 breasts in a 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle more brown sugar on top, and put the lid on. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for about 3 hours. Note that you don’t need to add liquids, as it will release juices into the slow cooker as it cooks.
When the chicken is cooked through, remove from the slow cooker.
You can add vegetables during the last hour of cooking. My favorite chooses include green beans, onions, and broccoli.
If you like crispy bacon, simply broil your bacon wrapped chicken for about 2-3 minutes after cooking in the crock pot. Just watch your chicken closely as it can start to burn fairly quickly.
HOW LONG TO COOK BONELESS CHICKEN BREAST IN SLOW COOKER?
The cook time depends on the thickness of your chicken breasts and the brand of your crock pot. It usually takes about 3 hours on a LOW setting. Check your chicken after 2.5 hours. Your chicken is fully cooked when your instant-read thermometer reads 165°F (74°C).
CHICKEN BREASTS VS. CHICKEN THIGHS
I used boneless chicken breasts for this recipe. You can also use chicken thighs by increasing the cooking time to 4-5 hours on low.
5 More Easy Crockpot Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Crock Pot General Tso’s Chicken
Slow Cooker Bacon Garlic Chicken Breast (+VIDEO)
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless*
- 8-12 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground or to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar, minced garlic, and optional salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts on a plate and rub half of the spice mixture all over the chicken breasts.
- Wrap each chicken breast with 2-3 slices of bacon, starting and finishing on the bottom of each breast. (The amount of bacon needed depends on the size of your chicken and bacon.)
- Place the wrapped chicken breasts seam-side down in the crock pot in a single layer, snuggling them in as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar mixture on top.
- Cover and seal the lid. Cook on LOW for 3 hours or until an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) is reached**.
- Optional: After cooking, place under the broiler (about 6 inches from the heating element) for 2-3 minutes to make the bacon crispy and add a nice caramelized color***.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board or plate, and cover with aluminum foil to keep it warm. Let rest for 5-10 minutes so that you will get clean slices.
- Garnish with optional parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- *If your chicken is frozen, you need to thaw it before use. For quick thawing, place the frozen chicken breasts in a sealed ziptop bag. Submerge the bag completely in cold tap water for 20 minutes. As the chicken thaws, pull the pieces apart to expedite the process. Replace with fresh cold water and submerge for 10-20 more minutes. Your chicken breasts are now ready to be cooked!
- **Check doneness after 2.5 hours the first time around, as there’s some variation between crockpots. It’s best to insert an instant-read meat thermometer through the middle of the chicken.
- Avoid removing the lid unnecessarily during cooking, as doing so lengthens the cooking time by 15-30 minutes each time.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
More Chicken Breast Recipes
Editor note: Originally published March 15, 2019 and updated October 1, 2019.