Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
This Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is the easiest and most unbelievably delicious soup you’ll ever make! It’s a comforting and nourishing meal with only 10 minutes of prep and the crock pot does the rest! Perfect for feeding a crowd…
Isn’t chicken soup the definition of comfort food? It warms you up from the inside out with tender chicken, soft noodles and veggies in a rich and flavorful broth.
You can make it as a skinny weeknight dinner, a comforting weekend meal or a cure-all for colds in flu season. I even know someone who likes to eat it for breakfast, so to each their own!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
There isn’t much to making this crockpot chicken soup. Simply throw all the ingredients into the crock pot except the noodles and bok choy. Then cook on low heat for 6-8 hours depending on the strength of your slow cooker.
When you’re ready to eat, remove the chicken breasts to a plate to cool slightly. Then turn the crock pot heat up to high and add the noodles and bok choy to cook for 6-8 minutes. The bok choy will turn emerald green and add color to the soup.
While the noodles are cooking, use two forks to shred the chicken into bite size pieces. When the noodles are al dente, add the chicken back in with the lemon juice for extra flavor. Then season with salt and pepper to taste, and you are done!
Tips for Making the Best Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Use the freshest chicken available to get the best flavor, and avoid chicken with any odor.
- If you find your soup pale at all, you can stir in 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder to give it some extra color without changing the flavor.
- Adjust the salt level at the end before serving to suit your preference. It’s easiest to control if you use low-sodium or unsalted chicken broth.
- If you used chicken skin or find the soup is getting oily, you can always pour it through a fat separator to quickly remove a lot of the fat.
Make Ahead Tips
- You can make chicken noodle soup up to 3 days ahead of time, and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat it in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.
- You can freeze chicken noodle soup for up to 3 months in an airtight container or ziptop bag.
Ingredients for Making Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Try to use low-sodium or unsalted chicken broth so you can easily control the saltiness of the soup. If you don’t have enough chicken broth, you can use an equivalent amount of water with 1-2 bouillon cubes dissolved.
- You can easily use skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for this recipe if you prefer. If you want to save some prep time, you can buy a rotisserie chicken and just shred the cooked meat.
- Egg noodles are ideal for chicken noodle soup, and you can substitute other pasta if needed.
- You can use different herbs like rosemary and oregano instead of thyme. Fresh is best, but dried herbs will work well too.
Equipment for Making Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Any 4-8 quart crock pot will work for this recipe, and I used this programmable 6-quart slow cooker.
- A chef’s knife like this one is ideal for slicing the vegetables quickly.
- A fat separator will let you degrease the soup in case you ended up using chicken skin and dark meat.
- A soup ladle with a long handle is great for easily serving the soup from the crock pot.
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 quarts chicken broth, low sodium recommended
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme, or rosemary
- 2 cups egg noodles, dried or fresh
- 3 cups baby bok choy, or other green veg
Garnishes - optional
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper , to taste
- fresh parsley, minced
- sprigs fresh thyme
- To the slow cooker, add the chicken breasts, olive oil, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, bay leaves and dried thyme.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on a low heat setting for 6-7 hours.
- Remove the cooked chicken to a plate to cool for several minutes. Once the chicken is lukewarm, use two forks to shred it into bite size pieces. Reserve.
- Add the egg noodles to the crock pot along with the bok choy. Re-cover and cook on high heat for 6-8 minutes until the noodles are al dente.
- Stir the shredded chicken along with the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with optional parsley and thyme. Serve and enjoy!
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes?
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- General Tso’s Chicken Crock Pot
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Looking for more Chicken Recipes?
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.