General Tso Chicken Crock Pot is all about taking a classic recipe and making it even better! General Tso’s Chicken is one of the most popular Chinese dishes in America, combining crispy fried chicken pieces with a sweet tangy sauce. It’s totally addictive!
This is the slow cooker chicken version of our popular 20 Minute General Tso’s Chicken. We did this version in a crock pot to make it even more tender and mouthwatering…
The sauce intensifies inside the crock pot, but it also thickens due to the cornstarch. That produces a burst of crispy, tangy, sweet flavors that none of us can resist. Love!
First you dredge the chicken in cornstarch, and then brown it in a skillet for several minutes to build flavor. Then it’s into the slow cooker for a mouthwatering simmer in the famous General Tso sauce.
STEP BY STEP PROCESS PHOTO
When you’re ready to serve, we’ve included three classic garnishes: green onions, crushed chili peppers and sesame seeds. You can choose all or none according to your preference. This dish will taste fantastic regardless – enjoy!
WATCH NOW: GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN CROCK POT
If you’re looking for more slow cooker recipes, check out TipBuzz’s Honey Garlic Chicken Slow Cooker!
The Best Slow Cooker General Tso's Chicken (with Video)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
General Tso Sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
- red pepper flakes optional
- green onions / scallions minced, optional
- sesame seeds optional
- steamed rice
- Slice chicken breasts into bite size pieces and place in a large ziplock bag with cornstarch, salt and pepper. Shake until coated.
- Fry chicken in two batches to brown. Add 1 tbsp vegetable oil to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Shake off excess cornstarch from half of chicken pieces and add to the frying pan. Fry several minutes until lightly golden.
- Repeat the previous step for the remaining chicken pieces. Then add all the browned chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the garlic, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and water to the slow cooker. Then cook for 4 hours on low heat. You may want to cook rice separately at this time too.
- When ready to serve, fill bowls halfway with steamed rice. Add chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle on optional red pepper flakes, green onions and sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!