This Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp is an easy 15-minute meal with a sticky and flavorful sauce that requires no marinating. It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner served with rice or veg!
What is Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp
Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp is a variation on our popular Honey Garlic Shrimp. It’s quite possibly the most flavorful and tangy shrimp recipes along with Teriyaki Shrimp, Shrimp Boil Foil Packets and Easy Garlic Butter Shrimp.
You can also pair it with rice and veg for a quick weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
How to Make Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp
You can use any larger size shrimp for this recipe. Jumbo size shrimp 21/25 will give you 5-6 per serving. Fresh Florida or Gulf shrimp are ideal if you can find them, or frozen shrimp as an alternative.
You’re ready to start cooking once the shrimp is ready, the garlic minced and your sauce ingredients are measured. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
Grab a large skillet and sauté the butter and garlic over low-medium heat until fragrant. You want the butter to be bubbly and the garlic soft but not browning at the edges. If it’s starting to brown, remove from heat for the next step.
The next step is mixing in the honey, soy sauce and lemon juice. The final step is adding in the shrimp to sear for 2 minutes per side, longer for larger shrimp and less for smaller shrimp.
While the shrimp is cooking, the liquid will start to thicken in the pan and coat the shrimp with the deliciously sticky sauce!
Tips and Secrets for Making Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp
- For frozen shrimp, be sure to thaw shrimp and rinse thoroughly to remove preservatives before using.
- Don’t overcook your shrimp! It’s done once it’s opaque and firm to the touch. Cut into one if you’re not sure.
- For a spicier variation, add ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes or cayenne with the garlic.
- Here are some healthier variations: use half olive oil and half butter instead of all butter; use low-sodium soy sauce; serve with brown rice.
Tools and Equipment
- Use a large 14-inch nonstick skillet like this one so you can cook all the shrimp in one batch, while avoiding the sticky sauce sticking to the pan!
- Low sodium soy sauce is best, so you can control the seasoning of this dish.
- Can you make this ahead of time? You can make it in advance and reheat in the microwave at 50% power for 3 minutes. However, it’s always best made fresh.
- Can you freeze honey garlic butter shrimp? No, the shrimp will be chewy if frozen.
- Can you make this on the grill? No, the sticky sauce won’t coat the shrimp properly, so use a skillet.
Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp
This Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp is an easy 15 minute meal with a sticky and flavorful sauce that requires no marinating. It’s the perfect for a weeknight dinner served with rice or veg!
- 1 ½ lb raw large shrimp peeled and deveined, thawed if needed
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup honey
- salt to taste
- green onion minced, optional
Get your ingredients ready, and then place a large nonstick skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add in the butter and minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant but not browning.
- Add in the soy sauce, lemon juice and honey, stirring until dissolved.
Raise heat to medium-high. Add shrimp to the pan, leaving space in between to help sear.
- Sauté about 2 minutes per side until no longer opaque and firm to the touch, using tongs to flip the shrimp The sauce should also be thickening enough to coat (see note).
Correct salt, garnish with optional green onion. Serve with rice and veg and enjoy!
If the sauce in the pan is too thick, mix in a tablepoon of water. If too thin, allow to boil another minute or two (if shrimp are already cooked, remove and boil the sauce only).
Looking for more shrimp recipes?
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Coconut Shrimp
- Shrimp Lo Mein
- Shrimp Chow Mein
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta
- Pad Thai
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Blackened Shrimp
- Easy Shrimp Boil
Looking for More Honey Garlic Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Sticky Honey Garlic Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Baked Honey Garlic Chicken
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here