Campfire Cake in Orange Shell
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Campfire Cake in Orange is a delicious cake to make outdoors or in the oven or grill. The orange keeps the cake extra moist while adding a touch of flavor, not to mention creating a beautiful presentation!
The recipe is one of our favorite campfire desserts along with Cinnamon Rolls Baked in Oranges and S’mores Cones. They’re super-easy to make using a boxed cake mix, some oil, water and a few eggs. Whipped cream and sprinkles are optional for serving.
We’ve had the question of why to make these campfire cakes? Well, they’re so much more interesting than your regular pan of brownies. Plus, they look and taste fabulous! Try them and see for yourself…
How to Make Campfire Cake in Orange Shell
Start by slicing the tops off your oranges and scooping out the insides with a spoon. We don’t use the orange flesh in this recipe, so you can simply eat or juice it!
Then make your cake batter following the package directions. Spoon the batter into the hollowed-out oranges until about 2/3 full. Wrap them tightly in aluminum foil.
Cook the cakes over the campfire, on the grill or in the oven. It’s your choice. For the campfire, you want to be about 3-4 inches away from glowing embers with no flames. A grill or oven should be preheated to 350°F.
To check doneness, insert a cake tester or skewer through the foil to make sure it comes out clean. Unwrap and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before adding the optional whipped cream and sprinkles on top!
Watch Recipe Video
This short tutorial shows how to make a campfire cake in an orange shell:
More cake recipes:
View all dessert recipes
Campfire Cake in Orange
- 15 oz white cake mix, one box
- vegetable oil, called for on cake mix box
- eggs, called for on cake mix box
- 6 large oranges, navel oranges recommended
- 4 oz whipped cream
- colored sprinkles, optional decoration
- Prepare a campfire until you have glowing embers. If using an oven or grill, preheat to 350°F.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice off top inch off the oranges. Then scoop out the insides to a bowl (see note).
- In a medium bowl, prepare cake batter according to the package instructions.
- Spoon the batter into the oranges until 2/3 full. Wrap each orange in aluminum foil and place top-up 3-4 inches from your campfire embers, or in the your preheated oven or grill.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a cake tester or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the heat to allow to cool for 5 minutes. The carefully unwrap the foil.
- Add optional whipped cream and sprinkles before serving.
- This recipe does not require the orange flesh, which you can use in another recipe or to make juice. Note: you can remove the flesh one day ahead of time.
- Variation: This recipe also works with chocolate cake mix.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.