Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Campfire Cake in Orange
This Campfire Cake in Orange is a fun cake to make while camping or at home in the oven. The orange keeps the cake extra moist while adding a touch of flavor and creating a stunning presentation!
Servings: 6 servings
- 15 oz white cake mix one box
- vegetable oil called for on cake mix box
- eggs called for on cake mix box
- 6 large oranges navel oranges recommended
- 4 oz whipped cream
- colored sprinkles optional decoration
Prepare a campfire until you have glowing embers. If using an oven or grill, preheat to 350°F.
Using a sharp knife, carefully slice off top inch off the oranges. Then scoop out the insides to a bowl (see note).
In a medium bowl, prepare cake batter according to the package instructions.
Spoon the batter into the oranges until 2/3 full. Wrap each orange in aluminum foil and place top-up 3-4 inches from your campfire embers, or in the your preheated oven or grill.
Bake for 25 minutes until a cake tester or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Remove from the heat to allow to cool for 5 minutes. The carefully unwrap the foil.
Add optional whipped cream and sprinkles before serving.
- This recipe does not require the orange flesh, which you can use in another recipe or to make juice. Note: you can remove the flesh one day ahead of time.
- Variation: This recipe also works with chocolate cake mix.
Serving: 1orange | Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 513mg | Potassium: 92mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 209IU | Calcium: 183mg | Iron: 2mg