French Fried Hot Dogs
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
French Fried Hot Dogs are battered and coated with french fries before cooking to crispy perfection. Get hot dog and fries flavors in every bite with these delicious deep fried hot dogs!
We created this hot dog recipe while preparing crescent roll hot dogs for a party. There wasn’t enough dough, so we battered the hot dogs and deep fried them instead at the last minute.
They were so popular that guests have been requesting them ever since! The best part? No buns required!
They’re also one of the best mini hot dog recipes for entertaining. Simply use mini hot dogs or slice the fried hot dogs into bite size pieces and serve with toothpicks.
HOW TO DEEP FRY A HOT DOG
Hot dogs are easy to deep fry and taste better than pan frying. It’s best to batter them to develop a puffy, golden crust.
We pressed french fries on top before frying to make it extra crispy, but this step optional. Just be sure to use straight cut fries for easy adhesion to the hot dog.
WATCH HOW TO FRY HOT DOGS
Deep Fried Hot Dogs
- 4-6 hot dogs, see note
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lb frozen straight-cut french fries, optional
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
Serving Ideas (Optional)
- Skewer each hot dog lengthwise and reserve.
- Arrange french fries in a variety of lengths on a plate.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cornstarch, all-purpose flour, eggs and water.
- Pour into a tall water glass and set aside.
- Heat 3-4 inches of oil to 375°F (191°F) in a saucepan or deep fryer.
- Holding on to the skewer, immerse a hot dog into the batter to coat. Remove and press fries onto batter until mostly covered.
- Place into deep fryer for 2-3 minutes until golden. Then remove to a paper towel lined plate using a mesh strainer or slotted spoon.
- Repeat for remaining hot dogs.
- Serve with your favorite condiments for dipping.
- Standard size hot dogs recommended. To make bite size appetizers for a party, cut the hot dogs into pieces or use mini hot dogs with small skewers.
- You can use pancake mix to make the batter if you wish. Follow the package instructions.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.