BLT Pasta Salad is serious comfort food that I always love! It’s also a crowd pleaser for any lunch, backyard barbecue, picnic, or get-together.
Even though we think of it in summer, pasta salads are actually a delicious staple year round.
Can you believe BLT is the second-most-popular sandwich in America after ham? The humble bacon-lettuce-tomato combination has its origins in 19th century tea sandwiches.
Before that the pasta salad was invented in Italy, where it’s called pasta fredda. More recently America figured out how to combine BLT with pasta salad – and aren’t we glad that happened!
It’s made with cooked pasta, tossed in a dressing and served chilled. And truth be told it’s our fave pasta salad recipe of all time! Watch this video tutorial to see how to make it:
<div id=”jbqwshtpfqwqmmfmykjt” data-volume=”70″ data-ratio=”16:9″></div>
I serve it for for family reunions on Memorial Day, Fourth of July and even Labor Day, and guests always love the crisp and creamy flavors. So think about doubling the recipe if you’re expecting a crowd 😉
Some people even eat it as a main course, since it’s a complete meal with protein, starch and vegetables.
You can use any pasta you although our faves are farfalle bowtie pasta, fusilli spirals and macaroni. It works well with whole wheat pasta if you want a healthier variation.
And this is the perfect was to use up leftover pasta if you made too much the night before, as we seem to do too often.
How to make BLT Pasta Salad
This salad can be made in 15 minutes. While the bacon is cooking and the pasta is boiling, you can get the rest of the salad ready.
In one bowl, you combine chopped romaine lettuce, onions and tomatoes. In another bowl, make the dressing with ranch, yogurt and mayo with a splash of cider vinegar for tartness.
Once your pasta and bacon are cooked, add them to the vegetables along with the dressing. Toss until it’s all coated evenly. You’re done!
You can make this salad up to one day ahead. Just keep it chilled until serving, which means using a freezer pack if you’re taking it to a picnic or party. Enjoy!
15 Minute Easy BLT Pasta Salad (With Video)
- 2 cups pasta farfalle, fusilli or macaroni
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce chopped
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt Greek if available
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp vinegar red wine or apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a medium-large bowl, place the tomatoes, lettuce, bacon and red onion.
- In a small bowl, mix ranch, yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water to cool down.
- Then toss pasta with the BLT mixture and the dressing until coated. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe TipsIf you want to make a vegetarian version, you can substitute in vegan bacon bits like these.
Try our Shrimp Boil Foil Packets for another recipe that’s great for the barbecue:
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here