Fried Mac and Cheese Onion Rings
Here’s an outrageously delicious way to eat mac and cheese, perfect for game day get-togethers.
Isn’t mac and cheese the ultimate comfort food, so creamy and satisfying? Except it can get a bit boring sitting there on a plate… Now we’ve created these mac and cheese onion rings.
They’re a double onion ring with mac and cheese stuffed into the middle and deep fried to golden perfection. Its fried mac and cheese at its best, and just in time for game day!
Our friends keep asking for them whenever there’s a game on. They even have a name for them: “those amazing cheese onion rings”.
Serve them with some salsa or ketchup depending on your preference.
Watch this video tutorial to see how to make it:
Fried Mac and Cheese Stuffed Onion Rings (with Video)
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 cup elbow pasta , 4oz
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 quart vegetable oil , for frying
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cut onions into 1/2 inch thick slices and separate into rings.
- Place small rings inside large rings to make double onion rings with a 1/2-inch gap inside. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, and drain when done.
- Add milk and garlic powder to the drained pasta. Stir in cheese and microwave for 30 seconds. Mix until creamy.
- Spoon mac and cheese into the gap in the double onion rings. Press it in firmly with your fingers.
- Freeze for 2 hours.
- Add 2 inches of oil to a pot or deep fryer and heat to 325°F.
- Dredge each piece in flour, egg, and then bread crumbs. Finally dredge in egg and breadcrumbs one more time.
- Using tongs place rings into oil. Fry 1-2 minutes until golden brown and remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more onion ring recipes?
Looking for more mac and cheese recipes?
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.