Creamy Chicken Marsala is a surprisingly easy weeknight dinner idea that will tantalize your taste buds with juicy chicken breasts in a creamy mushroom sauce flavored with marsala wine. And it’s ready in under 30 minutes. Plus video tutorial!
We often get requests for more chicken dinner ideas, so wanted to make this classic chicken marsala, which is one of our favorites. It may look complicated, but it’s actually a simple sauté of chicken and mushrooms with some marsala for flavor. The saucde is to die for!
We’ve made this as a quick weeknight dinner, a weekend brunch entree, and also for a romantic date night (to make a great impression, of course!). Serve it with a starch such as mashed potatoes, rice or flat noodles like fettucine to make a complete meal!
Do I have to use marsala wine?
Marsala is an amber or gold-colored fortified Italian wine that lends a subtle nutty flavor that makes this dish, and it’s inexpensive too. Good substitutes include sherry or, in a pinch, marsala cooking wine available online.
While the alcohol all boils off while the chicken simmers in the pan, you can substitute non-alcoholic white wine with a splash of vanilla extract for a booze-free version.
How to make chicken marsala
There are a few simple ingredients for chicken marsala:
- Chicken breasts: we’ve called for boneless skinless, but you can also use bone-in or skin-on for extra flavor if you prefer
- Sliced mushrooms
- Marsala wine
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream: use lighter cream if you prefer, just note the sauce will not be as thick
- Seasonings: garlic powder, mustard powder, salt & pepper
- Cherry tomatoes: these are not traditional, but lend a splash of color to the dish
In terms of the process, you start by sauteeing the chicken until golden on the outside, about 2-3 minutes per side depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Then remove the chicken to a plate and saute the mushrooms in the same pan until caramelized. The last step is adding back the chicken along with the liquids to all simmer together and build flavor.
For garnishes, I recommend adding in some cherry tomatoes toward the end along with minced parsley, but it’s completely up to you.
Tips for Making Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Use a heavy-bottomed nonstick skillet over medium-low heat to avoid the sauce burning.
- Buy pre-sliced mushrooms to reduce prep time of slicing mushrooms.
- You can make chicken marsala ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat in the pan over medium-low heat so the chicken doesnt dry out.
Watch How to Make Creamy Chicken Marsala
Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala (With Video)
Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala – one of the easiest creamy dinner recipes that'll be on your table in less than 30 minutes. Delicious, super flavorful chicken breasts with creamy mushroom cooked with marsala wine. Simply yummy!
Serving - optional
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- rice, potatoes or noodles
- fresh parsley for garnish
Place a medium skillet on medium heat. (If serving with starch, start cooking that separately now.)
Add olive oil followed by chicken breasts. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden on the outside and cooked through. If your chicken breasts are larger, you may need an extra minute or two.
Remove chicken to a plate. (Optional: place in a 200°F oven to keep warm.)
Raise the heat to medium-high and add mushrooms and sauté for 3-5 minutes until browned, stirring regularly.
Add marsala wine to the pan and allow to boil for a minute to let the alcohol evaporate.
Stir in chicken broth, heavy cream, garlic powder, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 7-10 minutes until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon.
Place chicken back in the pan along with the optional tomatoes. Spoon sauce on top and simmer for 1-2 minutes more.
Remove to plates and serve with optional starch. Sprinkle optional minced parsley on top. Serve and enjoy!
- If you can't find marsala wine, sherry is a good substitute or you can use non-alcoholic white wine if you prefer to avoid alcohol.
Here are our favorite variations on this chicken marsala recipe:
- Pound the chicken into 1/2-inch thick fillets with a tenderizer for faster cooking
- Add minced shallots with the mushrooms to introduce some onion flavor
- Add in a few spoonfuls of capers to make a tangier sauce
Looking for more chicken dinner ideas?
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Chicken Alfredo
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Tender and Juicy Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here