Heart Surprise Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
With Valentine’s Day approaching, we wanted to come up with some fun new recipe ideas. This Heart Surprise Cake is a heart shaped cake inside a cake. Why the surprise? Well, you won’t actually see the heart until you cut the cake, as it’s hiding inside!
There is a bit more effort required to make this cake. First, you need to bake a red velvet cake to make the heart shapes. Watch our video to learn a cool hack to make a heart cookie cutter from a soda bottle.
Then we stuffed the hearts into a loaf pan and pour white cake batter around it. You bake them together in the same pan for the finished product – voila!
It’s a fun recipe to make with kids around, and they’ll love cutting the heart shapes and the element of surprise. Happy V Day! Watch out video to see how to make it:
Heart Surprise Cake
- Preheat the oven at 350F degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Make the red velvet cake batter according to the directions on the box. Pour into prepared pan and bake until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, if you don’t have heart cookie cutter, make one from a medium soda bottle following the video.
- Meanwhile, also prepare the white cake batter according to the directions on the box, and set aside.
- Remove red velvet cake from oven and allow to cool. Slice into 1-inch pieces, and cut heart shapes from each piece. Freeze them for 30 minutes.
- Clean and dry the loaf pan. Line with parchment paper again. Pour a 1/2 inch of white batter into the bottom.
- Carefully stack the hearts upright inside the pan, side to side. Then pour the remaining batter on top of the hearts to cover.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the pan. Then apply frosting and add sprinkles. Serve and enjoy!
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.