Greek Pita Pizza
Pita pizza is a fabulous light lunch or appetizer made with pita bread, cheese and your favorite toppings. This pita bread pizza recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients in less than 20 minutes. So skip ordering pizza and make your own instead!
Pita pizza really delivers when you’ve got pizza cravings! The speed of preparation and delicious flavors make this mini pizza hard to beat. Kids and picky eaters like them as much as the adults!
You can serve them individually as a main dish, or cut them into pieces for an appetizer when you’re entertaining. They’re delicious hot or at room temperature. For another pizza appetizer recipe, try our Pizza Star Pull Apart.
HOW TO MAKE PITA PIZZA
There are 4 main ingredients for pita pizza:
- Pita bread: White or whole wheat pita pockets, 7-9 inches (17-22 cm) in diameter
- Sauce: Tomato sauce, pizza sauce or pesto sauce (optional)
- Toppings: Spinach, fresh basil, pitted olives
- Cheese: Shredded mozzarella or cheddar
Remember these are individual pizzas, so each one can be made differently which is great when people like different toppings. This recipe has a Greek theme using spinach, tomatoes and olives. However, you can easily substitute ingredients based on what you have on-hand.
The only equipment you’ll need is a baking sheet. Place the pita breads on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, add the toppings and finish with the cheeses. Bake either in a regular oven at 375oF (191oC) or toaster oven at 400oF (204oC) until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE PITA PIZZA:
Easy Pita Pizza (with Video)
- 4 pita breads, 8-inch size, white or whole wheat
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375°F (191°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, oregano, basil, garlic powder and olive oil until blended.
- Place pita rounds on baking sheet and brush lightly with the lemon-oil mix.
- In a medium bowl, mix together spinach, tomatoes and olives. Add lemon-oil mix and blend until coated.
- Place spinach mixture evenly onto pita rounds.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from oven. Serve and enjoy!
- If you can’t find pita breads, you can also use flat bread or Indian naan bread.
- If you prefer crispy crust, pull each pita bread apart into two thin halves.
- For healthy eating, consider using whole wheat pita bread, low-fat cheese and low sodium sauce.
- Use a thin layer of sauce to avoid making the pitas soggy.
- For a spicy option, sprinkle red pepper flakes on before the cheese.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
EQUIPMENT FOR MAKING PITA PIZZA
More mini pizza recipes:
Editor note: Originally published July 10, 2016 and updated Marc 27, 2019
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.