Super Bread Bowl Football Dip
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Super Bread Bowl Football Dip always gets devoured on Game Day! It’s an oval, football-shaped bread loaf full of melty cheese that’s perfect for dipping crusty bread plus crudités like carrot sticks. Serve it hot out of the oven for the best cheese pulls!
When it comes to football shaped dips, this recipe is always a hit along with our Two Cheese Bread Bowl Dip. Bake it in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and hot.
Guests just love digging into this appetizer so much that we often make two for the Super Bowl!
You only need the following ingredients to make it:
- Bread loaf: You need an oval-shaped loaf for this recipe. If you can’t find one at the supermarket, ask your local baker!
- Cheese: I recommend a brick of full-fat mozzarella or a mild to medium cheddar. Other choices include Havarti or Jack.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin gives the best flavor but any will do.
- Italian seasoning: This is to flavor the oil; you can use fines herbes as an alternative.
In addition to the bread bowl, you’ll also need some crudités like carrot and celery sticks for dipping.
How to Make a Super Bread Bowl Football Dip
Start by cutting out the football seam shape from the bread loaf using a small serrated knife. You want to go 2-3 inches deep to accommodate the cheese without puncturing the bottom of the loaf. Reserve the cutouts, which will bake alongside the loaf.
Next, the the cheese into 1/2-inch cubes to fill up the cavity with slight mounding, since it shrinks in the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees F until the cheese is bubbling. You may want to cover with foil if the bread is darkening too much.
While it’s baking, get your serving platter ready with the crudités. Remove the bread bowl to the platter and serve immediately!
Watch Recipe Video
Watch this video tutorial to see how to make this super bread bowl football dip:
More Game Day Appetizers:
View all Game Day recipes
Super Bread Bowl Football Dip
- 1 medium bread loaf, oval shape
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, cubed, or Havarti, Jack or cheddar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, or preferred spice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- crudités , carrots, celery, olives, nuts etc. - optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set aside two 18-inch sheets of foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Reserve.
- Carve out the middle of the bread loaf in the shape of a football seam, reserving the cutout pieces.
- Place bread loaf and pieces on one piece of foil. Brush all pieces of bread with the oil mixture.
- Place second piece of foil on top of the loaf, pinching the edges together with bottom foil to seal up into a package.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare your serving platter and crudités.
- Remove the bread bowl from oven to the platter and serve immediately.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.