Coca Cola Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Coca cola chicken features juicy chicken wings or drumsticks coated in a delicious cola sauce. This crowd-pleaser is a 20-minute dinner idea that even picky eaters will love, and it’s also perfect for game day. Plus video tutorial!
So many of us have coke chicken memories from parents, grandparents or friends. It’s not gourmet cooking so-to-speak, but its sweet and savory flavors are oh-so-satisfying! This dish is common in China, and it’s becoming popular stateside too.
WHAT KIND OF CHICKEN SHOULD I USE?
Coca cola chicken is normally made with wings or drumsticks, especially when being served as a party appetizer.
Chicken thighs work well when you want to make a more substantial dinner. Chicken breasts will also work but require extra care to avoid drying out, i.e. use an instant-read meat thermometer to check doneness.
WHAT KIND OF COLA SHOULD I USE?
Use your preferred cola to make this dish. The taste will be similar whether you make coke chicken or pepsi chicken! If you’re watching your sugar intake, then you can easily use a diet soda with no sugar instead.
HOW TO MAKE COCA COLA CHICKEN
The fastest and easiest way to make coke chicken is by sauteeing, and it only takes 20 minutes to get tender chicken! All you need is a frying pan, some chicken, soy sauce and cola.
Baking is an alternative method producing crispier meat, and you’ll need at least 30 minutes of baking time at 350°F (177°C). Plan on basting several times with the sauce for best results.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE COCA COLA CHICKEN:
3 Ingredient Coca Cola Chicken (with Video)
- 10-12 chicken pieces, wings or drumsticks, skin-on or off (see note)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 8 oz cola, 1 cup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Serving - optional
- green onions, minced
- rice, or mashed potatoes
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add the chicken pieces, making sure not to crowd the pan.
- Fry 5 minutes, turning every minute or two for even browning.
- Add soy sauce and cola to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- The sauce should be thickening, but if not remove the lid and boil for 1-3 minutes more.
- Remove to a plate and drizzle sauce on top.
- Garnish with green onion. Serve and enjoy!
- I recommend using chicken wings or chicken drumsticks for this recipe. For larger servings, you can also use chicken thighs or legs but cooking time will be longer. For chicken breasts, cook to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) measured with an instant-read thermometer.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
EQUIPMENT FOR MAKING COCA COLA CHICKEN
More chicken recipes:
Editor note: Originally published July 5, 2017 and updated March 6, 2019