Pull Apart Christmas Tree
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Pull Apart Christmas Tree is a festive appetizer to serve for a holiday party! It’s easy to make using pizza dough, cheese and fresh herbs on top. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
One of our all-time favorite party appetizers during the holiday season is this pull-apart Christmas tree. It’s festive, colorful and full of melty cheesy goodness! Plus, it’s always fun to eat with guests pulling off a piece.
- Pizza dough: The fastest way is to use Pillsbury pizza dough (crescent roll dough will also work). Or use this homemade pizza dough to make it from scratch.
- Cheese: You’ll want a 1-pound brick of cheese such as mozzarella or cheddar. Use full-fat cheese for the best cheese pulls.
- Herbs: I recommend fresh basil and rosemary, but you can also use dried.
- Cherry tomatoes: Add fresh tomatoes for a pop of color – grape tomatoes also work.
How to Make Pull Apart Christmas Tree
To make it, start by stretching out your pizza dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Then you can cut out 3-inch rounds using a knife tip. place one cube of cheese in the middle and wrap it in the dough until sealed tight. Repeat this process until you have about 30-32 balls.
Next, you’ll want to arrange the balls in a Christmas tree shape. An easy pattern is 7 balls in a straight line for a base, followed by adjacent lines of 6 balls, 5 balls etc. until you reach a single ball for the top.
When you’re satisfied with the shape, brush with butter and sprinkle the herbs on top. Bake for 15-17 minutes (following the package direction if using store-bought dough) until puffy and golden. Serve with pizza sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Recipe Video: Pull Apart Christmas Tree
This short tutorial shows you how to make a pull apart Christmas tree:
More holiday appetizers:
View all Christmas recipes
Cheesy Pull Apart Christmas Tree
- 28 oz refrigerated pizza dough, 2 cans or homemade pizza dough
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes, or cheddar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh or dried
- 12 grape tomatoes, halved, or cherry tomatoes
- pizza sauce, or your favorite dipping sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Place the pizza dough on a work surface. Stretch it out to roughly a 1/4-inch thickness. Then cut into about 32 three-inch squares.
- Cut the cheese into 1-inch cubes. Place one cube on top of each dough square. Then pinch the edges of each square together tightly to form a ball.
- Arrange the balls on the prepared baking sheet in a Christmas tree formation: a straight line of 7 balls for the base followed by 6 balls, 5 balls etc. until you reach a single ball for the top. Use the remaining balls to make a stump and/or star.
- Brush the balls with melted butter and sprinkle herbs on top. Then add the cherry tomatoes in between the balls.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes following the package directions is using store-bought dough. If the tops start darkening, you can always cover with foil for the remaining time.
- Remove from the oven and use the parchment to transfer the Christmas tree to a cheese board or other platter. Serve with optional dipping sauce.
- Recipe yield: 16 servings (2 pieces per serving)
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.