Do the twist! When it’s time to party, there’s always a question of what appetizers to serve up. Hot, cold, sweet, savory, make or buy… it goes on and on. Well problem solved with these yummy 3 Ingredient Crescent Dog Twists!
They’re crescent rolls and hot dogs combined into the ultimate finger food that everyone will love. Maybe the spirals are hypnotic or something, but these are always the first to go. No one will guess how easy they were to make.
There are some fun variations here too. If you want bite size mini crescent dogs, then use the exact same technique with toothpicks and mini hot dogs. It’s also easy to make this a vegetarian recipe by substituting veggie dogs. You’ve got this!
It’s a good idea to have some ketchup or mustard on hand, since everyone loves to dip these twists!
How To Make Crescent Dog Twists
To make them, you’ll need a few bamboo or metal skewers like these ones and a sharp knife… Skewer the hot dog, and cut a about a half inch apart. Then pull the hot dog down the skewer to open it up.
Then grab a piece of crescent roll dough and roll it out into a thin strip you can slide into the spiral. Remember that it puffs up when it bakes, so it doesn’t need to fit perfectly. It may take one or two tries the first time around, and you’ll be all set.
It’s actually pretty fun, and a great opportunity for kids to help out…
After that you just brush them with egg wash to give them a shiny glaze, and bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven. Watch our video tutorial to see how to make them from start to finish:
3 Ingredient Crescent Dog Twists (with Video)
- 6 hot dogs
- 1 can refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1 egg lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
- ketchup or other dipping sauces optional
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Cut hot dogs in half and skewer. Make the twist by running a sharp knife tip in a spiral pattern 3/4-inch apart (see video). Repeat for other hot dogs.
- Break off some crescent roll dough and roll into a 1/2-inch tail. Press into the space on the twist using your fingers (see video). Repeat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the twist is golden brown. Serve with optional dipping sauce and enjoy!
If you want another hot dog idea, try our French Fry Covered Hot Dogs recipe.