Orange Upside Down Cake
There is nothing quite like this Orange Upside Down Cake. The beautiful presentation will brighten up everyone’s day, and it’s unique. Make this amazing dessert while everyone else does the usual apple or pineapple upside down cake!
This recipe is extremely versatile. We’ve served it as a casual dessert, but it’s fancy enough afternoon tea with friends or a dinner party. It’s delicious enough to serve on its own, although feel free to add some ice cream or berries on the side if you like.
There are two parts to this recipe: the caramel orange topping, and the cake itself. It’s best to make this recipe between November and April when oranges are the sweetest. If you can find blood oranges, the beautiful crimson color makes the presentation even more impressive…
Any round cake pan will do, but if you’re nervous about unmolding the cake then use a springform pan so you can easily remove the edge and bottom of the pan.
Watch our quick tutorial to see how to make it:
Orange Upside Down Cake
Upside Down Topping
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 medium oranges, thinly sliced, peel cut off
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-10 inch round cake pan or springform pan with oil or nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Set a medium saucepan over low-medium heat and add butter. Once melted add in brown sugar and boil for one minute stirring constantly.
- Pour hot caramel mixture into prepared pan and spread to cover the bottom with a spatula. Arrange orange slices on top in a circular pattern.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, butter, milk, vanilla and orange zest. Mix until smooth and pour on top of orange slices in pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes in the pan.
- Place a plate on top and invert to unmold. Rap plate gently, then lift off pan. Serve and enjoy!
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.