Cake Batter Shake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Make a creamy and delicious Cake Batter Shake just like at Sonic! You can make one in just 5 minutes using ice cream, milk and your favorite cake mix. Perfect for a birthday party or a sweet treat in summer!
Ever since Sonic launched their yellow cake batter shake last year and updated to the brownie batter shake more recently. This DIY version is just as good, plus it’s easy to make with just 3 ingredients.
When you want a cool treat on a hot day, there’s nothing better! You can customize with your favorite cake mix and even use up leftover mix too.
Ingredients for a Cake Batter Milkshake
To make a cake mix milkshake, you’ll need 3 basic ingredients:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Milk: We used regular milk but you can substitute non-dairy milk if you prefer.
- Dry cake mix: if you’re trying to reproduce one of Sonic’s shake, then use yellow cake mix or chocolate cake mix. Otherwise, you can use white cake mix, funfetti or other flavors.
In terms of toppings, there are many possibilities such as whipped cream, maraschino cherries, sprinkles (the birthday cake milkshake look) or crumbled oreos (the Sonic look).
How to Make a Cake Batter Shake
It only takes 5 minutes to make this shake! However, before you get started, you have to heat treat the cake mix to remove any harmful bacteria. Simply sprinkle it onto a plate in a thin layer and microwave it at full power for 60 seconds.
Now you’re ready to go. Add the ice cream, milk and cake mix to the blender and run it for 10-20 seconds to reach milkshake consistency.
Pour the milkshake into tall glasses and add the optional toppings. Serve immediately!
Tips for the Best Milkshakes
- You can make a milkshake consistency thicker by reducing the amount of milk, or thinner by adding extra milk.
- If you want to decorate the glasses, first rub the rib with a thin layer of corn syrup or peanut butter. Then roll in sprinkles or oreo crumbs.
- For a richer milkshake, use half and half or heavy cream instead of milk.
Watch Recipe Video
More ways to use cake mix:
Cake Batter Shakes
Yellow Cake Batter Shake
- 2 tablespoons yellow cake mix, see note
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream, about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup milk
Brownie Cake Batter Shake
- 2 tablespoons chocolate cake mix, see note
- 3 scoops chocolate ice cream, about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup milk
- whipped cream
- marashino cherries
- crumbled oreos
- Sprinkle the cake mix onto a small plate and microwave on full power for 60 seconds to remove any harmful bacteria.
- Add the ice cream, milk and heat-treated cake mix to a blender. Cover and blend for 10-20 seconds until smooth and at your desired consistency.
- Pour the milkshake into tall serving glasses. Add optional whipped cream, maraschino cherry, crumbled oreos etc. Serve immediately.
- Cake Mix: You can substitute your favorite cake mix flavors such as white cake mix, funfetti, chocolate brownie etc. I used Betty Crocker but any major brand will work.
- Milk: You can use non-dairy milk if you prefer.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.