This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Walking Tacos are a really fun on-the-go meal you can assemble in minutes. This taco in a bag features Frito chips covered with seasoned ground beef and your favorite toppings. They’re always a hit at parties, picnics, campfires, game day and more!
Everyone needs to try this walking taco recipe at least once. It’s bursting with taco flavors and so much fun to eat! You can get this budget-friendly meal ready ahead of time and there’s almost no cleanup.
So what is a walking taco exactly? It’s a taco in a bag of chips like Fritos, instead of a taco shell. Meat or chili is spooned onto the chips along with toppings, and the whole dish is eaten from the bag.
The original walking taco recipe is a bit of a mystery, but you can find them being served today out of stadium concession stands in Texas and the Midwest. You might see them called a traveling taco or Frito pie in a bag, but it’s all the same thing!
HOW TO MAKE A WALKING TACO
All you need for walking taco ingredients are the following:
- Bags of Fritos chips
- Ground beef (or chili beans for a vegetarian option)
- Seasoning: storebought or homemade taco seasoning
- Toppings: diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese etc.
- Condiments: salsa, guacamole, sour cream etc.
This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover ground beef and chili (chili in a bag!).
WALKING TACO BAR IDEAS
When you’re making walking tacos for a crowd, definitely consider setting up a walking taco bar so everyone loves can add their own toppings. It’s part of the fun for your guests, plus it’s easier for the host too!
You’ll need chips, seasoned beef, chopped onions, cheese and shredded lettuce. For condiments, put out your favorites like salsa, guacamole, sour cream and/or hot sauce.
There are also walking taco bags available for easy serving! These special bags unzip horizontally so it’s easy to add toppings to the walking taco chips inside. In addition to Fritos, there are also Doritos walking taco bags, Tostitos and even Cheetos!
Walking Taco (Taco in a Bag)
- 6 4-oz bags Fritos, or Doritos (4 oz bags - see note)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 oz taco seasoning mix, 3 tbsp, low sodium recommended
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or similar
- sour cream
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and ground beef.
- Sauté the beef for 5 minutes, stirring regularly to brown evenly. Add the taco seasoning and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the walking tacos by spooning cooked beef onto the Fritos followed by toppings and condiments. Alternatively, arrange a walking taco bar and let people assemble their own.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
More taco recipes:
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.