Sweet Potato Tots
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Sweet Potato Tots are crispy on the outside and soft inside with just a hint of sweetness. This comfort food makes a tasty appetizer or snack that’s also versatile and reasonably healthy. Your family and friends will keep coming back for more!
Making sweet potato tater tots should be in everyone’s culinary repertoire. They make a fabulous vegetarian snack or party appetizer. And you can also use up any leftover sweet potatoes you may have on hand.
Unlike sweet potato fritters where the potatoes are grated and pan fried, these tots are mashed into balls and deep fried. They’re softer and easy to dip into chipotle mayo or your favorite dipping sauce!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make them:
- Sweet potatoes: Any kind of sweet potato will do, and you can also use yams as a substitute.
- Flour: All-purpose flour helps to control the moisture content so the inside is soft.
- Egg: This is the binding agent to hold everything together.
- Seasonings: We’ve used salt, paprika and garlic powder but you can adjust or replace as you like.
- Vegetable oil: For deep frying.
How to Make Sweet Potato Tots
Start by bringing a medium pot of water to a boil. Peel a large sweet potato and cut into 1-inch cubes. Put them in the boiling water to cook for 15 minutes until soft. Then remove using a slotted spoon and mash in a bowl with flour, egg and seasonings.
Next, deep fry them in batches at 375oF for 3-4 minutes until crispy on the outside before removing to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle some flaky sea salt on top and serve warm!
Watch Recipe Video
This tutorial shows how to make sweet potato tots from start to finish:
More appetizer ideas:
View all appetizer recipes
Sweet Potato Tots
- 6 oz sweet potato, 1 large or 2 medium
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 quart oil, for frying
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Set aside a paper towel lined plate.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Add the sweet potato chunks to the boiling water for 15 minutes. Then remove to a medium bowl using a slotted spoon and mash into a puree. Set aside.
- Mix in the egg. Then mix in the flour, salt, paprika and garlic powder.
- Add 2-3 inches of oil to a medium saucepan or deep fryer and heat to 375°F. Carefully add several spoonfuls of batter one-by-one to the hot oil, cooking for 3 minutes until crispy. Remove to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Repeat for the remaining batter, cooking in batches of 4-6 tots at a time. Garnish with sea salt and serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Recipe Yield: About 16 tots.
- Make Ahead: These tots will become soggy in the refrigerator, but they freeze well for up to 3 months in a resealable plastic bag.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.