Cheesy, crispy fried mashed potatoes packed with bacon and green onion. Try making these delicious fried mashed potato balls for your next party or just a fun snack!
These fried mashed potato balls could possibly be the most delicious way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. They’re like cheese pull aparts, but even more addictive and yet strangely comforting too.
At just over 150 calories per ball, you can indulge in 3-4 of them guilt-free! Serve them with a dipping sauce like salsa, guacamole, sour cream or ranch and you’ll be on cloud nine…! If you follow the instructions, you should get some epic cheese pulls too.
How to make mashed potato balls
To make them, you’ll need about 3 cups of mashed potatoes, and cold leftover potatoes are great. Leftover baked potatoes can also be used with skins removed.
Combine them with with shredded cheddar cheese, minced green onion and crumbled bacon in a mixing bowl.
Then form 1 1/2 inch round balls and place them on a baking sheet to chill for 15 minutes while you get ready for deep frying.
The last step is battering the balls in bread crumbs and beaten eggs before frying for 2-3 minutes in 375°F oil. Follow the video tutorial below to see how to make them. Enjoy!
Watch how to make mashed potato balls:
Fried Mashed Potato Balls
Fried Mashed Potato Balls are a delicious appetizer snack using up leftover mashed potatoes with bacon, cheese, green onions and lightly battered with breadcrumbs, parmesan and egg. They're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. So good!
- 3 cups mashed potatoes i.e, leftover
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 3/4 cup cooked bacon crumbled
- 1 cup jack cheese in 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups oil for deep frying
- dipping sauce of choice
- To a large bowl, add the potatoes, cheddar cheese, green onions and bacon. Mix until combined.
- Scoop the potato mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and set on a plate. Press a jack cheese cube into the middle of each ball, and form the potato around it. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Beat the egg in a small-medium bowl. In another medium bowl, add the bread crumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a deep fryer or medium sized pot, it should be a depth of nearly 3 inches. Heat to 375°F.
- One by one, using tongs if available, dip each mashed potato ball in the beaten egg and then dredge in bread crumbs. Place on a plate and set aside.
- When the oil is hot, use a slotted spoon to gently add 3-4 balls into the pot. Fry for 2-3 minutes gently moving them around to brown evenly. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat for remaining balls. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces and enjoy!
Looking for more deep fried recipes?
Looking for more party appetizer recipes?
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here