Orange Chicken Meal Prep
This Orange Chicken Meal Prep makes irresistibly delicious lunches and dinners for the entire week. It’s easy and full of classic Chinese orange chicken flavors, and you can take it with you for lunches or dinners for the entire week!
Orange Chicken is one of my fave Chinese recipes, so much that I decided to meal prep it for a healthier meal on-the-go.
It’s just as easy, and it gets tastier with each day as the flavors penetrate into the chicken. Simply pair with some rice and vegetables to make a deliciously yummy meal.
Looking for more meal prep ideas?
How to Make Orange Chicken Meal Prep
There are four main steps for making orange chicken:
- Step 1 – Marinate the chicken: Cut chicken breasts into 1″ cubes and coat with a mixture of orange zest, beaten egg, salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Step 2 – Frying: Heat a medium saucepan or skillet to 350°F, using an oil thermometer to measure if you’re not sure. Coat the chicken pieces in flour, shake off the excess, and then fry in two batches for 3-4 minutes each time.
- Step 3 – Make the Sauce: In a separate saucepan, bring water, sugar and orange juice to a boil over medium heat. Mix the cornstarch with 3 tbsp of water in a cup and then to add the sauce whisking continuously to thicken slightly.
- Step 4 – Coat the Chicken: Add the fried chicken pieces to the sauce, and stir or toss to coat evenly. Remove from heat.
That’s it, you are ready to meal prep it! Let it cool slightly, and then add one third each of orange chicken, rice and vegetables to meal prep containers.
Tips for Selecting Meal Prep Containers
Having a decent set of meal prep containers will help keep your organized, making meal prepping easier and faster. They can also look good!
Most meal prep containers have a rectangular shape and will hold 4-5 cups of food.
Use the following tips for selecting them:
- Brand and size: Buy the same brand and size of containers! Trust me, you don’t want to be sorting through mismatched lids on different types of containers.
- Quantity: You want to buy a pack of at least 10 containers to have enough ready to be loaded up at any time.
- Material: Microwaveable, BPA-free plastic containers like these ones are the best lightweight option if you’re always on-the-go. Glass containers are a good durable alternative if you want to avoid plastic.
Orange Chicken Meal Prep
- To a medium mixing bowl, add cubed chicken, zest of half an orange, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Coat the marinated chicken with flour, shaking off the excess.
- Place oil in a medium saucepan or deep fryer and heat to 350˚F.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces in batches for 3-4 minutes each until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- In a skillet, add 1 cup water, juice of the orange (about 2 tbsp) and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with 3 tbsp water to make a slurry. Add to the pan to thicken the sauce and stir constantly until thickened.
- Add in the chicken and toss to coat. Serve and enjoy!
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.