Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes are a delicious breakfast or brunch recipe featuring your favorite pineapple upside down flavors. This recipe uses a sheet pan to bake the pancakes in the oven, so easy preparation with no flipping required!
If you love Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes, then you’ll love this recipe. We’ve taken the same concept, but adapted it to the breakfast. These pancakes are surprisingly easy to prepare with no flipping and batch cooking required!
The smell coming out of the oven is pure ambrosia as the brown sugar caramelizes with the pineapple juices. They bake for about 20 minutes, so you’ll have breakfast for a crowd in less than half an hour! So much fun for holidays and long weekends!
How to Make Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes
To make them, start with a 12×18 inch rimmed baking sheet. Grease it heavily with a slurry of melted butter and brown sugar.
Arrange 15 pineapple rings in a 3×5 grid in the pan. (You can use fresh or canned pineapple here, although canned is easier to work with.) Add maraschino cherries to the center of each ring if you wish.
The last step before baking is to make the pancake batter. We used a mix, but you can make your favorite batter from scratch if you wish. Pour the batter all around the baking sheet to just barely cover the pineapple.
Bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cover with another sheet pan or tray. Then holding them tight together, invert the baking sheet.
You’re ready to cut the pancakes and serve hot with maple syrup!
Watch Recipe Video:
This short tutorial shows you how to make pineapple upside down pancakes:
More pancakes recipes
View all breakfast recipes
Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes (with Video)
- 15 pineapple rings
- 15 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups pancake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- maple syrup, optional for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Set aside a 12x18-inch rimmed baking sheet (a half sheet).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk melted butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture into the baking sheet and use a spatula to spread it out evenly across the surface.
- Arrange the pineapple rings into a 3x5 grid in the baking sheet. Add one maraschino cherry into the middle of each ring.
- In a large bowl, whisk the pancake mix, eggs and milk until smooth. Pour the batter evenly across the top of the pineapple rings. There should be enough to just barely cover the pineapple.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cover with a second, larger sheet pan or tray. Then holding the two pans tightly together, flip to invert the pancakes into the second pan.
- Cut the pancakes and serve immediately with optional maple syrup.
- A nonstick baking sheet is recommended for easy unmolding.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
Editor note: Published May 27, 2017 and updated April 2, 2018
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.