Ham and Cheese Loaf
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Ham and Cheese Loaf is made with layers of bread, ham, cheese and seasonings baked to golden perfection in the oven! This ham and cheese bread only requires 10 minutes of prep and is a great lunch idea to feed a crowd.
This recipe is like crack bread or a croque monsieur, but better! You can actually slice a sandwich off the loaf or even pull it apart and get some cheese pulls. That’s what makes it fun … and delicious!
We’ve served this when the kids have friends over, but it’s also great for the adults on Game Day. Much easier than making individual sandwiches or panini!
Ingredients for a Ham and Cheese Loaf
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Sandwich Bread: You want rectangular sandwich bread, either white or wheat.
- Ham: Use your favorite sliced ham.
- Cheese: I recommend full-fat mozzarella and grate your own for the best melting (pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents that impede melting). Alternatives include cheddar, Havarti, Jack or Swiss.
- Olive oil: Any olive oil will work.
- Italian seasoning: An important seasoning for this recipe; you can use fine herbes or a similar blend.
- Parsley (optional): Curly or flat-leaf parsley is optional, but creates an attractive presentation.
How to Make a Ham and Cheese Loaf
To make it, you’ll need a deep loaf pan about 9×5 inches, lined with parchment. Simply create a layered stack of bread, ham and cheese about 9 inches high and fit it snugly into the pan.
Brush with olive oil and seasoning to keep it moist. Then top with more cheese before it goes into the oven. It should only take 20 to 25 minutes at 375°F.
The loaf is done with golden and bubbly on top, think au gratin.
Watch Recipe Video
This short video tutorial shows how to make this ham and cheese bread loaf:
More Sandwich Ideas:
Ham and Cheese Loaf
- 9-11 slices sandwich bread, white or wheat
- 8-10 slices ham
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, or cheddar, Swiss, Jack or Havarti
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- fresh parsley (optional), chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rectangular loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the crusts off the bread. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and Italian seasoning. Brush all slices of bread.
- Make a stack consisting of layers of bread, shredded cheese and ham. Repeat until you have enough height to fit snugly into the pan.
- Carefully slide the stack into the pan. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden and bubbly. Remove from the oven and garnish with optional parsley to serve.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.