Vegetarian Lasagna Roll Ups
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
These Vegetarian Lasagna Roll Ups are combine zucchini with ricotta and parmesan cheeses and marinara sauce. These individual lasagnas are so delicious and bake much faster than traditional lasagna!
Vegetarian lasagna roll ups are a fun twist on traditional lasagna that’s just so delicious. They’re popular because you can make them in much less time than regular lasagna, not to mention lower in calories!
You can make these for a homestyle dinner or dress them up for a party or potluck! They’re also fabulous for special occasions like Mother’s Day, Valentine’s or simply a date night.
How to Make Vegetarian Lasagna Roll Ups
Start by cooking the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions. Another option is to use no-boil or oven-ready lasagna noodles to save time.
The next step is making the ricotta filling. Start by crushing garlic and finely grating two zucchinis. Then, sauté the garlic and zucchini for about 5-7 minutes to evaporate the excess water.
Now it’s time to make the filling by combining the sautéed zucchini with ricotta, parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl. It should resemble a thick paste. Spread about 4-5 tablespoons of the zucchini filling evenly onto each noodle, and roll it up tight with your fingers.
Spread some marinara on the baking dish (to prevent sticking) and then place the roll ups seam side down on top. Finally, top with some additional sauce and grated mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling on top.
Here’s a summary of the main steps to make vegetarian lasagna roll ups:
Watch Recipe Video:
This tutorial shows you how to make vegetable lasagna rolls:
Serving Ideas for Vegetarian Lasagna Rolls
You can serve these lasagna rolls with a caesar salad or green salad and some crusty Italian bread. They’re also delicious with a side vegetable such as steamed broccoli.
More lasagna recipes:
Vegetarian Lasagna Roll Ups
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh basil, optional for garnish
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese, part skim
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set aside a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, crush garlic cloves and finely grate zucchini, patting dry with paper towels to remove excess water.
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Add zucchini and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, ricotta, parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Lay noodles out flat on a work surface and spread 1/3 cup of zucchini mixture across each noodle.
- Roll up each noodle into a bundle with your fingertips, and set aside.
- Spread 1 cup of marinara sauce into baking dish. Place rolled noodles seam-side down onto marinara.
- Top with the remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and top with optional basil before serving.
- Vegetables: You can substitute fresh mushrooms, spinach, or peeled eggplant for zucchini in this recipe. Just chop finely or pulse several times in a food processor.
- Make Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 2 days ahead of time. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Reheat in the oven for 20 minutes.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
Editor note: Published Sept 29, 2016 and updated Nov 2, 2018
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.