These delicious zucchini lasagna roll ups are lasagna without all the effort, a healthier vegetarian option for brunch, lunch or dinner.
Zucchini lasagna roll ups are a fun twist on traditional lasagna that’s just so delicious. They’re popular because you can make them in much less time than regular lasagna!
You spread ricotta filling onto a noodle, roll it up and cover in sauce + cheese and bake. If you love zucchini, then this recipe’s for you.
This recipe is comfort food that’s also versatile. We’ve served it for brunch, lunch and dinner and it’s always a hit. They’re so gorgeous that everyone loves to gaze over them. If you need a go-to dish for date night, then definitely try these out to make a great impression.
How to make zucchini lasagna roll ups
The first step is cooking the lasagna noodles in boiling water, and you can prepare the other ingredients in the meantime. Another option is to use no-boil or oven-ready lasagna noodles to save time. While they work fine, it can be difficult finding them with the wavy edges if you like that look.
The next step is making the ricotta filling. Start by crushing garlic and finely grating two zucchini:
Then saute the garlic and zucchini for about 5 minutes. This is crucial for removing the excess water from the zucchini and making a creamy filling later on. Sauté a few extra minutes if needed.
Now it’s time to make the filling by combining the sautéed zucchini with ricotta, parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl. It should resemble a thick paste.
Now you’re ready for the fun part, and if you have little helpers around this is the time to involve them. Spread about 4-5 tablespoons of the zucchini filling evenly onto the noodle.
Then roll up each noodle with your fingertips:
The last few steps are the easiest. You spread marinara sauce along the bottom of a rectangular baking dish…
…and then place the roll ups seam side down on top of the marinara. Are we drooling yet?
The last few steps are simply adding a dollop of sauce on top of each roll up to keep it moist during baking…
… along with some grated mozzarella cheese.
And now it’s ready for the oven! It takes about 40 minutes to bake, just long enough to get the cheese on top bubbling.
To make a complete meal with these roll ups, consider pairing with:
- homemade garlic bread wrapped in foil and baked alongside the roll ups
- a simple garden or caesar salad
- some red or white wine using this lasagna pairing guide if needed
Enjoy your lasagna roll ups! Watch our video tutorial to see how to make them:
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups (with Video)
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh basil optional for garnish
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium zucchini grated
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese part skim
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and set aside a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, crush garlic cloves and finely grate zucchini, patting dry with paper towels to remove excess water.
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Add zucchini and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, ricotta, parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Lay noodles out flat on a work surface and spread 1/3 cup of zucchini mixture across each noodle.
- Roll up each noodle into a bundle with your fingertips, and set aside.
- Spread 1 cup of marinara sauce into baking dish. Place rolled noodles seam-side down onto marinara.
- Ladle remaining marinara sauce evenly across tops of rolls. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 min. Remove from oven and top with optional basil. Serve and enjoy!
You can also make lasagna roll ups with fresh mushrooms, spinach, or eggplant (peeled) instead of zucchini. Just chop finely or throw into a food processor and pulse a few times, then substitute directly into this recipe.
Check out our Party Lasagna too: