This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
This Mummy Pizza is guaranteed to give anyone the shivers at Halloween! It’s got pepperoni tucked inside the crust and black olives for eyes that stare back at you. Serve it as a party appetizer or quick dinner before trick-or-treating.
This adorable mummy pizza is like a calzone with strips of dough wrapped around to create the entombed look. It’s so much fun, and you get amazing cheese pulls when serving for an even spookier effect!
You can make Halloween pizza into a main course with a side salad or slice into appetizer-size pieces for a party. So much fun and the prep is foolproof.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Pizza dough: I used a Pillsbury pizza crust to save time, but of course you can make a homemade pizza dough if you like.
- Pizza sauce: Use your favorite pizza sauce or marinara sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese: I recommend grating your own for the best melting, but you can use pre-shredded instead. Use regular pizza mozzarella for the best cheese pulls, or part skim mozzarella for a lighter option.
- Pepperoni slices: You can use traditional, natural pepperoni or vegan pepperoni for a vegetarian option.
- Black olives: Pitted black olives are what you want to create the spider look.
How to Make a Mummy Pizza
So the layout works like this: place the pizza dough flat on a floured work surface. Spread tomato sauce down the middle followed by the cheese and pepperoni.
Next, cut slits about an inch apart on the diagonal down the sides. These strips will be wrapped around the toppings to create the mummy look.
Bake for 20 minutes at 400°F until the crust is golden. Serve it warm, possibly with some costume jewelry on the side to simulate an entombed mummy!
Watch Recipe Video
This short video tutorial shows how to make a mummy pizza:
More Halloween pizza ideas:
View all Halloween recipes
Halloween Mummy Pizza
- 14 oz refrigerated pizza dough, I used Pillsbury (1 can), or you can make homemade pizza dough
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce, or marinara sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 40 slices pepperoni
- 1 black olive
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set aside a baking sheet.
- Place pizza dough onto a piece of parchment paper on a work surface. Spread the sauce onto the middle half of the dough vertically. Then sprinkle cheese on top of the sauce and add pepperoni slices.
- Using a paring knife, make 1 inch wide slits diagonally starting from the sauce and going out to the edges of the dough on both sids.
- Fold the bottom strips toward filing. Then braid strips to create a messy mummy look from the bottom, and work your way up. When you get close to the top, leave some empty space for mummy’s eyes. And braid more to create mummy’s head.
- Add some extra sauce to the empty space along with olive halves for the eyes.
- Lift the parchment paper (with the mummy on top) onto the baking sheet. Bake about 20 mins or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Can I make it ahead of time? While a mummy pizza is best when fresh, you can make it up to 2 days ahead and store in a large airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.