How Long to Bake Pork Chops
Learn how long to bake pork chops and get tender and juicy results every time! We’ve got you covered whether you have one-in or boneless pork chops of varying thicknesses and regardless of the oven temperature. They’re delicious and easy to make with a few simple tips!
Baking is definitely one of the best ways to cook pork chops because of the even heating and caramelization you get in the oven. One of the most frequent comments we get is: “How long do you bake pork chops?” and it’s such a great question because no two pork chops or ovens are the same.
The store may not have the exact pork chop type or thickness called for in a recipe, or you might be baking other dishes at a different temperature in the same oven. Here we explain exactly how long to bake pork chops at 350, 375, 400 or 425 and still get the juicy results we all crave!
HOW LONG DO YOU BAKE PORK CHOPS
There are several rules of thumb for how long to bake pork chops:
- Boneless pork chops: At 400°F / 205°C, count on 7 minutes of bake time at per half-inch or centimeter of thickness.
- Bone-in pork chops: Add 5 more minutes to the baking times for boneless pork chops.
- Searing: If you pan-sear the chops before baking, reduce the baking time by 2 minutes.
TIPS FOR BAKING PORK CHOPS
While cooking pork chops in the oven is straightforward, there are a few tips to make life easier:
- The thicker the better: Thicker pork chops retain their juices better for more flavor and tenderness, so target 1 to 1 1/2 inches when possible.
- Salt the chops: Salt tenderizes the meat for juicy chops, and optionally you can brine them in salt water for 20-30 minutes too.
- Pat dry: Baking wet chops will interfere with caramelization, so remove excess moisture by patting dry with paper towels if needed.
- Use a thermometer: Check doneness accurately using an instant-read meat thermometer; once the internal temperature is approaching 145°F / 63°C, remove the pork chops from the oven, as it’ll rise a few more degrees while resting.
- Let the pork chops rest: After baking, they should rest for 3-5 minutes to let the juices retreat back into the meat for maximum flavor. Resist the urge to cut into them right away.
If your oven is not reliable, be sure use an oven thermometer as well to ensure an accurate temperature. It’s also a good idea to bake in the upper half of the oven to get a nice crust. If you are breading or stuffing your pork chops, plan on a few extra minutes of cooking time.
HOW LONG TO BAKE BONELESS PORK CHOPS
Boneless pork chops are the most popular, and they’re also the least forgiving since the meat is lean and easily overcooked. They require less baking time than you might think!
I recommend baking boneless pork chops at 400°F / 205°C to get a crispier, more caramelized texture. Here’s how long to bake boneless pork chops for other thicknesses and oven temperatures:
|Pork Chop Oven Temp||Boneless Pork Chop Bake Time|
|½ in / 1cm thickness||1 in / 2½ cm thickness|
|350°F / 175°C||10-12 min||20-22 min|
|375°F / 190°C||8-10 min||18-20 min|
|400°F / 205°C||7-8 min||15-18 min|
|425°F / 220°C||6-7 min||12-15 min|
Note: If you sear boneless pork chops before baking, reduce bake time by 2 minutes.
You’ll use slightly less time in a convection oven with the fan on. For a delicious recipe, check out our Baked Boneless Pork Chops.
HOW LONG TO BAKE BONE IN PORK CHOPS
Bone in pork chops are hands-down the most flavorful, and there are two types: rib chops and loin chops. On average, they need 5 more minutes of baking time than boneless pork chops, but it depends on the size of the bone! Larger bones take longer to cook through than just a small piece.
Here’s how long to bake bone in pork chops based on thickness and oven temperature:
|Pork Chop Oven Temp||Bone In Pork Chop Bake Time|
|½ in / 1cm thickness||1 in / 2½ cm thickness|
|350°F / 175°C||16-18 min||25-30 min|
|375°F / 190°C||14-16 min||23-25 min|
|400°F / 205°C||12-14 min||20-22 min|
|425°F / 220°C||8-10 min||18-20 min|
Note: If you sear the bone in pork chops before baking, reduce bake time by 2 minutes.
Check out our Baked Bone In Pork Chops for a delicious bone in pork chop recipe.
Baked Boneless Pork Chops
- 4 pork chops, 1-inch thick, boneless
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C) and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place pork chops on the baking sheet and rub all over with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Rub the seasoning mixture evenly over the sides of each pork chop.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or the internal temperature reaches 145°F as measured using an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and allow the baked pork chops to rest for 3-5 minutes on a plate. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more pork chop recipes?
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.