Earth Day Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
These Earth Day Cupcakes have a blue and green swirl design reminiscent of land and sea. They’re delicious and beautiful too. Plus, you can easily make them in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for a party or potluck!
When Earth Day approaches, we can all take a few extra steps to create much-needed awareness about the need to protect our planet! These blue and green cupcakes send that subtle message with minimal effort. They’re one of my favorite Earth Day dessert recipes!
They’re super-easy to make for a party or potluck. Kids will love helping out making their own swirl patterns with this recipe. Nobody will be able to tell you used a cake mix to make them!
You only need 3 ingredients for this recipe:
- Cake mix: One 15-ounce box of your basic white cake mix is ideal. You’ll also need the oil and eggs called for on the package directions.
- Food colors: I recommend using natural food colors with no artificial dye. It’s healthier and plus, it’s Earth Day right? You need 3-4 drops each of blue and green colors.
- Cupcake liners: Some paper cupcake liners avoid sticking to the pan. If you don’t have any, you’ll want to grease thoroughly with oil or nonstick cooking spray.
How to Make Earth Day Cupcakes
All we’re doing here is making cupcake batter using cake mix and dividing the batter between two bowls. Add blue color to one bowl and green color to the other. The last step is adding alternating spoonfuls of each batter to each muffin cup.
You’ll get a unique swirl pattern on the top of each cupcake as the layers of batters mingle and bake.
Recipe Video: Earth Day Cupcakes
This short tutorial shows how to make earth day cupcakes:
More cupcake recipes:
View all dessert recipes
Earth Day Cupcakes (with Video)
- 15 oz box white cake mix
- oil, as called for on cake mix box
- eggs, as called for on cake mix box
- green food coloring
- blue food coloring
- white cupcake liners
- Preheat the oven at 350°F (175°C) or as indicated on the cake mix box.
- Add cupcake liners to a standard 12-cup muffin pan or alternatively grease thoroughly with oil or nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- Make cake batter combining cake mix with oil, water and/or eggs according to the package instructions. Divide the batter evenly between two medium bowls.
- Add 3-4 drops of green color to the first bowl and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Add 3-4 drops of blue color to the second bowl and mixi thoroughly until combined.
- Add a tablespoonful of green batter to each cup. Then add a tablespoonful of blue batter. Repeat until each cup is 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Make Ahead: You can make these cupcakes one day ahead of time and store at room temperature in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.