How Long to Bake Chicken Wings
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Wondering how long to bake chicken wings in the oven? We’ve got you covered with cooking tips and temperatures on how to bake chicken wings. Enjoy perfectly crispy baked chicken wings every time!
My preference is definitely to make chicken wings in the oven. There are fewer calories than deep fried without the need to cook in batches and clean out the deep fryer afterward! The oven can also give you nice and crispy baked chicken wings.
Nothing beats chicken wings as an appetizer for a party or get-together. This game day food is irresistible, plus it’s paleo, keto and gluten-free!
Best Temperature to Bake Chicken Wings in the Oven
The best temperature to bake chicken wings in the oven is 400 to 425°F (204 to 218°C). These temperatures allow the wings to develop a crispy exterior while breaking down tough connective tissues for easy eating.
How Long Does It Take To Bake Chicken Wings
Chicken wing bake time depends on oven temperature and recipe style. Here’s how long to bake chicken wings at 400 degrees as well as 350, 375 and 425:
|Oven Temp||Chicken Wing Bake Time|
|350°F / 177°C||60-70 minutes|
|375°F / 191°C||50-60 minutes|
|400°F / 204°C||40-50 minutes|
|425°F / 218°C||30-40 minutes|
Bake times will be on the shorter end of the ranges for smaller wings and/or when you’re using a convection/forced air oven. Use the longer times for larger wings and less efficient ovens.
When Are Baked Chicken Wings Done?
Officially speaking, chicken wings are safe to eat at an internal temp of 165°F (74°C) according to the USDA. However, they will still be chewy, as the tough connective tissue has not broken down into gelatin. Therefore, it’s best to cook to an internal temperature of 190 to 200°F for the best texture. The skin will be crisp with tender flesh for easy eating.
Ingredients for Baked Chicken Wings
- chicken wings (can be drumettes, flats, wing tips or a combination)
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- baking powder
How to Cut Chicken Wings for Baking
- Place the chicken wing flat on a cutting board and locate the joint where the wing meets the drumette.
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the joint to separate the wing from the drumette. Repeat this process for all the chicken wings.
- If desired, you can also separate the tip of the wing from the drumette by cutting through another joint.
How to Bake Chicken Wings in the Oven
There are four tips to get delicious baked chicken wings:
- Pat dry the wings with a double layer of paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Use a rimmed baking sheet with an oven-safe wire rack to prevent sticking. Line the baking sheet with parchment to minimize splatter.
- Place the oven rack in the upper-middle position.
- Always flip the chicken wings halfway through baking to ensure even cooking.
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings: Add dry rub seasonings such as garlic powder, salt and pepper along with 3 teaspoons of baking powder per pound (454 grams) of wings to help dry them out. Then bake at 400-425°F (204-218°C).
When you want to bake the wings with a coating of sauce, use a lower temperature like 350-375°F (177-191°C) to prevent the sauce from burning.
Tips for Making the Best Baked Chicken Wings
- Pat dry: Always pat dry the wings with paper towels to remove excess moisture prior to seasoning.
- Use baking powder: Tossing the wings with some baking powder will create crispier skin that crackles.
- Line the baking sheet: Wings will stick during baking, so put a layer of parchment or foil underneath.
- Use a high temperature: Bake at 400 to 425°F for crispy skin.
- Use a wire rack: Put the wings on a rack on the baking sheet to promote air circulation for crispier skin.
- Use a thermometer: Check doneness using an instant-read thermometer. They’re best when cooked to 190 to 200°F.
- Don’t forget the dipping sauce: Put out your favorite dipping sauce such as ranch, blue cheese or BBQ.
Best Baked Chicken Wing Flavors
- Buffalo Wings – This popular flavor is a classic using hot sauce and butter.
- BBQ Wings – Another traditional flavor where wings are tossed in BBQ sauce.
- Honey Mustard Wings – A tangy and sweet flavor featuring Dijon mustard, honey and cider vinegar.
- Teriyaki Wings – An Asian-inspired flavor featuring soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and garlic.
- Garlic Parmesan Wings – A milder flavor using melted butter, garlic (fresh or powdered) and grated parmesan cheese.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Wings
To store leftover chicken wings, once they’re at room temperature, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. They also freeze well for up to 3 months.
How to Make Chicken Wings Crispy in the Oven?
The following tips will help to ensure crispy wings. First, pat them dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Second, use a high oven temperature of 400 to 425°F. Third, toss the wings in some baking powder prior to seasoning. Fourth, place a rack on the baking sheet for maximum air circulation.
Should I Cover Chicken Wings When Baking Them in the Oven?
There’s no need to cover chicken wings during baking unless you want soft skin or the recipe calls for it. If you want crispy skin, it’s best to leave them uncovered.
Should I Add Sauce to the Wings Before or After Baking?
If the sauce contains sugar, it may char during baking and should go on at the end. Other choices such as hot sauce can usually go on before baking, as they can withstand the heat of the oven.
How Long to Bake Chicken Wings at 350?
Baking fresh chicken wings at 350°F (175°C) will take 45 to 55 minutes depending on the efficiency of your oven.
How Long to Bake Chicken Wings at 375?
Baking fresh chicken wings at 375°F (190°C) will take 35 to 45 minutes depending on the efficiency of your oven.
How Long to Bake Chicken Wings at 400?
Baking fresh chicken wings at 400°F (204°C) will take 30 to 40 minutes depending on the efficiency of your oven. Turn on the convection or forced air feature if available.
How Long to Bake Chicken Wing at 425?
Baking fresh chicken wings at 425°F (218°C) will take 20 to 30 minutes depending on the efficiency of your oven. Turn on the convection or forced air feature if available.
How Long to Bake Chicken Wings in Celsius?
When baked at 200°C (400°F), chicken wings will take 30 to 40 minutes depending on the efficiency of your oven. Turn on the convection or forced air feature if available.
Wings recipes you may like:
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- 2 lb chicken wings, 10-15 wings
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
Serving – optional
- dipping sauce, BBQ, ranch, blue cheese etc.
- carrot sticks, and celery sticks
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C) and set the oven rack in the upper middle position.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment and place an oven-safe wire rack on top. Set aside.
- Place chicken wings on a work surface and pat dry with a double layer of paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and baking powder.
- Toss the dried chicken wings in the seasoning mix and place on wire rack.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until crispy, flipping the wings halfway through.
- Serve with optional carrot and celery sticks and your favorite dipping sauce.
- How long to bake frozen chicken wings: You can bake frozen chicken wings without thawing. Bake 5-10 minutes longer than thawed wings, or at the high end of the time ranges above.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.