How Long to Bake Chicken Wings
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Find out how long to bake chicken wings whether you’re making crispy baked chicken wings or a saucier recipe. We show you how to bake chicken wings and get the best results every time!
My preference is definitely to make chicken wings in the oven. There are fewer calories than deep fried without the need to cook in batches and clean out the deep fryer afterward! The oven can also give you nice and crispy baked chicken wings.
Nothing beats chicken wings as an appetizer for a party or get-together. This game day food is irresistible, plus it’s paleo, keto and gluten-free!
How to Bake Chicken Wings in the Oven
There are four tips to get delicious baked chicken wings:
- Pat dry the wings with a double layer of paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Use a rimmed baking sheet with an oven-safe wire rack to prevent sticking. Line the baking sheet with parchment to minimize splatter.
- Place the oven rack in the upper-middle position.
- Always flip the chicken wings halfway through baking to ensure even cooking.
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings: Add dry rub seasonings such as garlic powder, salt and pepper along with 3 teaspoons of baking powder per pound (454 grams) of wings to help dry them out. Then bake at 400-425°F (204-218°C).
When you want to bake the wings with a coating of sauce, use a lower temperature like 350-375°F (177-191°C) to prevent the sauce from burning.
How Long Does It Take To Bake Chicken Wings
Chicken wing bake time depends on oven temperature and recipe style. Here’s how long to bake chicken wings at 400 degrees as well as 350, 375 and 425:
|Oven Temp||Chicken Wing Bake Time|
|350°F / 177°C||60-70 minutes|
|375°F / 191°C||50-60 minutes|
|400°F / 204°C||40-50 minutes|
|425°F / 218°C||30-40 minutes|
Bake times will be on the shorter end of the ranges for smaller sized wings and/or when you’re using a convection/forced air oven. Use the high end of the range for larger wings and traditional ovens.
When are baked chicken wings done?
Chicken wings are usually cooked through when crispy on the outside. If you want to confirm doneness, insert an instant-read thermometer into the largest part of the wing. It’s done when the temperature reads 165°F (74°C) according to the USDA. The juices seeping out of the chicken should also run clear.
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- 2 lb chicken wings, 10-15 wings
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
Serving - optional
- dipping sauce, BBQ, ranch, blue cheese etc.
- carrot sticks, and celery sticks
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C) and set the oven rack in the upper middle position.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment and place an oven-safe wire rack on top. Set aside.
- Place chicken wings on a work surface and pat dry with a double layer of paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and baking powder.
- Toss the dried chicken wings in the seasoning mix and place on wire rack.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until crispy, flipping the wings halfway through.
- Serve with optional carrot and celery sticks and your favorite dipping sauce.
- How long to bake frozen chicken wings: You can bake frozen chicken wings without thawing. Bake 5-10 minutes longer than thawed wings, or at the high end of the time ranges above.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
More about baked chicken: