Easy Cherry Clafoutis
This Cherry Clafoutis is a classic French dessert made with fresh sweet cherries baked in a sweet batter. It’s comfort food at it’s best, and surprisingly simple to make. Serve it for a homestyle dessert or dress it up for a party. Plus video tutorial!
This cherry clafoutis is one of my favorite desserts, and it melts in your mouth in a seiously addictive way! So when cherry season arrives, usually May through August, pick up a quart of them and give this recipe a try!
The clafoutis (sometimes called clafouti stateside) was invented in central France, a big cherry growing region. It has stood the test of time because it’s so attractive, easy to make and amazingly delicious. Some people even eat it for breakfast – it’s that good!
You can make cherry clafoutis using a heavy pie plate, cast iron pan, tart mold or even individual ramekins. So use what you have on hand. Any variety of sweet cherry will do for this recipe including bing, montmorency or Rainier.
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY CLAFOUTIS
Pitting the cherries is the most of the effort for this recipe, so be sure to check out our beer bottle hack in the video.
The next step is to grease a pie plate with butter and put in the pitted cherries in one layer.
Now you’re ready to make the batter using eggs, sugar, flour, milk, salt, vanilla and almond extract. It’s similar to a pancake batter but with a thinner consistency.
The batter should be poured into the pan, and the level will rise enough to surround and almost cover the cherries.
And then into the oven it goes. You want to bake it until it’s puffy in the middle and golden on top.
It’ll deflate slightly after it comes out, and that’s perfectly normal. A dusting of powdered sugar gives it a beautiful look and will also cover up any imperfections.
To serve a cherry clafoutis, simply use a pie server to lift a piece out of the pan. Just like pie, right?
Clafoutis really stand on their own without much need for garnishes. If you wish, you can serve with whipped cream or an accent of fresh cherries on the side.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE CHERRY CLAFOUTIS
This quick video tutorial shows how to make a cherry clafoutis:
Easy Cherry Clafoutis (with Video)
- 3 1/2 cups fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
- unsalted butter, (to grease the baking dish)
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8 inch pie plate and sprinkle granulated sugar evenly on top.
- Wash and dry the cherries. Pit them easily using a chopstick and an empty bottle according to the video.
- Place the cherries in the prepared pan, where they should fit snugly into a single layer.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla and almond extract until smooth.
- Stir in the melted butter (once cool/lukewarm). Then stir in the flour until smooth, and finally mix in the milk.
- Immediately pour the batter over the cherries in the pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until puffy and golden on the edges.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and cut into wedges. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more fruit desserts?
Editor note: Published Aug 22, 2017 and updated June 13, 2018
© TIPBUZZ. Images and text on this website are copyright protected. Please do not post or republish without permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post. This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.