Easy Candy Sushi
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy.
Candy Sushi is a colorful DIY treat made from fruit roll-ups, puffed rice cereal and melted marshmallows. This gluten-free snack takes just 20 minutes to make with 5 ingredients, and it’s great as an everyday snack as well as for birthdays, parties and potlucks.
I first spotted candy sushi while window shopping in Tokyo back in 2010, and recreated it for a birthday the following year. After that candy sushi party, it became an instant family favorite that we make a few times a year just for fun!
Beyond parties and potlucks, candy sushi is fabulous for movie night along with popcorn cake whenever you need a sweet treat!
What is candy sushi?
Candy sushi is mock sushi that consists of soft candy in the middle surrounded by a puffed-rice and marshmallow filling and wrapped with dried fruit roll-ups. There are two styles:
- Maki sushi / California rolls: this is the style shown here with the candy in the middle
- Nigiri sushi: candy is placed on top of the rice mixture and wrapped with a thin strip of rollup in the middle
It’s sometimes called a dressed up rice krispie treat, but it’s so much more than that with its bright colors and candy inside 🙂 You won’t find candy sushi on Amazon or in stores, so you have to do-it-yourself to have the experience!
To make candy sushi, you only need a few simple, easy-to-find ingredients:
- Unsalted butter
- Mini marshmallows
- Puffed rice cereal: Rice Krispies or similar
- Fruit roll-ups: square sheets are ideal and pick your favorite colors like green and red
- Soft candy: licorice, fruit twists, gummy worms, swedish fish etc.
The most common colors for the fruit roll-ups are red and green, and they both look amazing. For the soft candy, pick whatever you like best!
Can I make candy sushi without rice krispies?
Yes, you absolutely can. Puffed wheat cereal works decently as a substitute for rice krispies. The texture will be slightly chunkier, and of course it won’t be gluten free anymore. It’s still yummy nonetheless!
How long does candy sushi last?
Candy sushi will last up to one day only. Any longer and the fruit roll-ups will become tough and sticky, and the filling slightly stale. So try to make the same day and store at room temperature in an airtight container until serving.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE CANDY SUSHI:
Candy Sushi (with Video)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows, about 30 mini marshmallows
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal, I used Rice Krispies
- 4 ounces fruit roll-ups, square 4-5 inch size
- 6 in licorice, halved crosswise (see note)
- Place a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the butter and marshmallows and stir slowly with a wooden spoon until melted. Remove from heat. (see note)
- Stir the rice cereal into the marshmallow mixture until incorporated evenly.
- Place the fruit roll-ups on a work surface and unroll.
- Spread cereal mixture equally over entire surface of each roll-up, packing it down until flat.
- Place 3 licorice or fruit twists in the center of each roll-up.
- Using your fingertips, roll tightly into a log shape, sealing where the edges meet.
- Squeeze the rolls gently to secure.
- Using a sharp knife, trim off the ends and slice into 1/2-inch wide pieces. Serve and enjoy!
- Other candy choices for the middle include: fruit twists and gummy bears
- If you prefer, you can microwave the butter and marshmallows in 30-second intervals at 50% power to melt, stirring each time in between.
- Candy sushi gets sticky when stored overnight, so best to consume the same day it's made.
Please read our nutrition disclaimer.
EQUIPMENT FOR MAKING CANDY SUSHI
Editor note: Originally published Oct 27, 2016 and updated Jan 4, 2019