Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Steak Tacos are a mouthwatering meal with minimal preparation. We’ve started with a citrus steak taco marinade and then cooked the tacos on the grill. They’re topped with onion, tomato, cilantro and fresh lime for the perfect dinner.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Resting Time1 hr
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 8 tacos
Steak taco marinade
- 2 tbsp lime juice from 1 lime
- 3 tbsp orange juice from 1 orange
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 jalapeño pepper minced - optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb steak flank steak or skirt steak (see note)
Grilling and assembly
- cooking oil spray
- 8 tortillas corn or flour, 8-inch size
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- guacamole optional, or diced avocado
- queso fresco cheese or Cotija cheese (see note)
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime wedges
In a medium bowl, mix together the lime juice, orange juice, cumin, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Place the steak in the bowl and coat thoroughly with the marinade. Reserve for one hour at room temperature (see note), or refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
In the meantime, preheat the grill medium heat or 400°F (204°C) and prepare toppings, i.e. dice the tomatoes, dice the red onion and crumble the cheese.
Spray the grill grates with oil spray.
Place the steak on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until medium-rare or medium, using an instant-read thermometer to check doneness (130-140°F or 54-60°C).
Remove steak to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes to preserve juiciness.
Cut the steak crosswise against the grain into thin 3-inch (8 cm) slices, about ¼ inch or ½ cm. Reserve.
Please a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tortilla and heat for 30 seconds until puffy. Remove to a plate for assembly into a steak taco. Repeat for remaining tortillas.
Add a few slices of steak to the middle of the tortilla, followed by toppings, cheese and cilantro. Repeat for remaining tortillas. Serve and enjoy!
- The best steak for tacos is flank steak or skirt steak (hanger steak), but sirloin steak fajitas and ribeye steak fajitas are also delicious.
- Room temperature steak will cook more evenly for juicier steak.
- You can pan fry the steak in a grill pan or cast iron skillet if you prefer not to use the grill.
- Mexican Cotija cheese is the most authentic, although it can be difficult to find. Queso fresco is another great option, with feta or Monterey Jack as alternatives.
Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 238mg | Potassium: 279mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 165IU | Vitamin C: 6.9mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.8mg