Add to Collection
Go to Collections
How to Cook Crab Legs (+Video)
Learn how to cook crab legs for a delicious meal bursting with seafood flavors! Preparation only takes less than 15 minutes whether you’re steaming, boiling, baking, or grilling.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 pounds crab legs king crab or snow crab (thawed)*
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 lemon
- fresh parsley minced – optional
Boiled Crab Legs
Fill a 16-quart stockpot halfway with water and bring to a rolling boil.
Using long-handled tongs, add the defrosted crab legs to the pot, submerging completely.
Cover the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes depending on size.
Remove from water and serve with lemon wedges and melted butter. Sprinkle optional fresh parsley on top.
Steamed Crab Legs
Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
Carefully place the steamer basket in the pot. (Regular steamer baskets can hold about 1-1.5 pounds, so steam in batches if needed.)
Using tongs, add the crab legs to the steamer basket. Cover and steam for 6-7 minutes.
Remove from the steamer and serve with lemon wedges and melted butter. Sprinkle optional fresh parsley on top.
Baked Crab Legs
Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C).
Place the crab legs on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter.
Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 7-8 minutes or until cooked through.
Remove from oven and serve with lemon wedges and melted butter. Sprinkle optional fresh parsley on top.
Grilled Crab Legs
Preheat the grill to medium or 350°F (177°C).
Place the crab legs on the grill and brush with melted butter.
Cover and grill for 5 minutes. Then flip and cook the second side for 4-5 more minutes.
Remove from the grill and serve with lemon wedges and melted butter. Sprinkle optional fresh parsley on top.
- *Ensure your crab legs are thawed completely before use.
- To eat king crab legs: cut the crab legs in half with a knife or scissors to expose the flesh.
- To eat snow crab legs:
- Pull legs and claw off the cluster, breaking each piece at the joint. Bend each leg gently until the shell breaks and the meat will come out of the shell in lumps.
- For the claws, use a crab leg cracker to break the shell. Peel off the shell and take the meat out.
- For the cluster, you can pick meat out with a fork.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days to use in seafood salad or sandwiches.
Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 713mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 375IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg