Add to Collection
Go to Collections
How to Cook Rice in Microwave
Learn how to make perfect microwave rice every time using this microwave rice recipe. Rice cooked in the microwave is fluffy, tender and cooks much faster than in a rice cooker or on a stovetop.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 2 cups white rice or jasmine rice or basmati rice
- 3 cups water or broth
Add rice to a microwave-safe bowl or microwave rice cooker. Pour in enough water to cover easily.
Swish the rice around with your fingertips and drain the water through a sieve. Repeat 2-3 times until the water is mostly clear.
Add the correct amount of water for cooking and cover (see note).
Microwave at 100% or High Power for 10 minutes (see note).
When the cycle is complete, microwave at 50% or Medium Power for 2 more minutes.
Remove the rice from the microwave and let it rest covered and undisturbed for 3 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and serve.
- Make sure to use a bowl or cooker that’s large enough to allow for doubling in bulk.
- Cover the bowl with a microwaveable plate; a microwave rice cooker will come with a lid that will fit or slide on easily.
- This recipe works for white rice such as basmati, jasmine or sushi rice. Brown rice needs additional water and a longer cooking time.
- This recipe assumes a full-power (1200-Watt) microwave. For a less powerful microwave, add 5-7 minutes more cooking time.
- For each additional cup of rice, add 2 more minutes of cooking time at Medium Power.
Serving: 100g | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 4g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 79mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 0.6mg