Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Chicken Noodle Soup
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is a classic hearty and comforting soup loaded with tender chicken, soft noodles and vegetables, simmered in a rich and flavorful chicken broth.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz canned chicken or shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium recommended
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
Serving - optional
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Drain and rinse the canned chicken.
Place a 6-8 quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, arlic, onions, carrots and celery to the stockpot. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
Add canned chicken, chicken broth, bay leaves and thyme. Raise heat to high and bring the soup to a boil, skimming off any impurities that rise to the surface with a large spoon.
Remove Chicken. Using two forks, shred the chicken into smaller pieces.
Add egg noodles to the broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until noodles are tender.
Remove bay leaves and discard. Stir in the shredded chicken along with the optional parsley and lemon juice.
Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper to your preference. Serve and enjoy!
- If you’d like to have more broth in your soup, you can add more water or broth. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Adjust the salt level at the end before serving to suit your preference. It’s easiest to control if you use low-sodium or unsalted chicken broth.
- You can swap oil for butter for extra flavor. You can also add a few chili flakes for a spicy kick.
- You can cook the noodles separately from the soup to save time.
- You can use different herbs like rosemary and oregano instead of thyme. Fresh is best, but dried herbs will work well too.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 575mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3590IU | Vitamin C: 6.9mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1.3mg