Trisha Yearwood Crockpot Mac and Cheese
The best rich and creamy crockpot mac and cheese! This southern comfort food is an easy dump-and-go recipe.
Servings: 12 servings
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni about 3 cups uncooked (see note)
- 12 ounces evaporated milk see note
- 2 1/2 cups milk whole milk recommended
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 egg yolks optional (see note)
- 18 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika (optional)
Use a 4-quart or 6-quart crock pot. Add the elbow macaroni (uncooked), evaporated milk, milk, butter, egg yolks, salt and pepper.
Stir in the grated cheese, reserving the remaining cup for the topping. Mix well.
Sprinkle the reserved cheese and paprika on top. Then seal the lid and cook on LOW for 3 hours.
Remove the lid and taste the pasta to ensure it's to your liking before serving.
- Macaroni: Use standard-size elbow macaroni from brands such as Barilla or De Cecco. Avoid larger spiral macaroni, which does not cook the same way. If using gluten-free macaroni, reduce cooking time to approximately 2 1/4 hours.
- Evaporated Milk: This is canned milk widely available in supermarkets, and it lends a creamier flavor to the dish. You can use regular or 2%, but avoid skim if possible.
- Eggs: Trisha Yearwood uses eggs, and we've adapted that to egg yolks to prevent curdling. If you prefer, you can omit them entirely and still get good results.
- To Make Baked Mac and Cheese in the Oven: You’ll need to boil the macaroni first until al dente. Then spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Add all ingredients in the pan, and bake at 350°F in the oven for about 50 minutes.
Serving: 4oz | Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 553mg | Potassium: 289mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 838IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 495mg | Iron: 1mg