Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Slow Cooker Beef Cheeks
These beef cheeks are braised low-and-slow with red wine, vegetables and aromatic herbs. This dinner melts in your mouth with delicious beefy flavors!
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 pounds beef cheeks 4-6 cheeks trimmed of fat (8-12 oz each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red wine full-bodied Cabernet, Merlot or similar (see note)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 medium onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium carrot chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 celery rib chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped (about 1 ½ cups), or canned
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
Place the beef cheeks on a work surface and pat dry with paper towels.
Optional (for extra flavor): Place a skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the olive oil and beef cheeks. Fry for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Flip and repeat for the other side.
Transfer the beef cheeks to the crock pot. Pour the wine and stock into the pan and dislodge off any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Then pour into the crock pot.
Add all the other ingredients to the crock pot: onions, garlic, carrot, celery, tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper.
Seal the lid shut and set the crock pot to cook on Low for 8 hours, or High for 5 hours.
Discard the thyme sprigs. Optional: pour the cooking liquid into a fat separator to remove accumulated fat.
Remove the beef cheeks to a plate and drizzle juices on top to serve.
- Wine: Any full-bodied wine such as a Cabernet, Merlot or Bordeaux will do. Basic table wines are suitable but avoid cooking wines sold in supermarkets.
- Oven Method: Follow the recipe above, but put everything into a Dutch oven or heavy ovenproof pot. Cover and cook in a 300°F oven for 4 hours or until tender.
- Stovetop Method: Follow the recipe above, but put everything into a heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a low boil on medium heat, and then cover and turn to the lowest heat. Simmer for 3 hours, adding more liquid halfway through if needed.
- Make Ahead: You can make them ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Alternately, you can freeze for up to 3 months.
- Leftovers: Use them to make delicious beef tacos or sandwiches!
Serving: 6oz | Calories: 584kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 412mg | Potassium: 804mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2087IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 4mg